Carrot Greens

Status
Not open for further replies.

shelloise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Manitoba Canada
I was wondering if carrot greens are ok to give my redfoot and marginated tortoises? thanks

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Here is the info according to thetortoisetable.org.uk. It says to feed sparingly, as part of a varied diet of course:

Common name : Carrot
Latin name : Daucus carota sativus
Family name : Apiaceae/Umbelliferaceae

Carrot tops contain a high percentage of oxalic acid, potassium and are rich in protein, so should be fed sparingly, if at all.

Some people are said to use raw grated carrot occasionally as a natural wormer, but there is no evidence that this is an effective method of worming your tortoise.

It is also said to be a natural way to boost to vitamin A if a small amount is occasionally grated and added to a tortoise’s diet.

Here is the link for you, for checking other foods:
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/tortoise_home_1.asp

shelloise

5 Year Member
Manitoba Canada
thanks, I don't mean carrot tops, I meant just the green leaves

thanks for the link :)

BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
Here is the info according to thetortoisetable.org.uk. It says to feed sparingly, as part of a varied diet of course:

Common name : Carrot
Latin name : Daucus carota sativus
Family name : Apiaceae/Umbelliferaceae

Carrot tops contain a high percentage of oxalic acid, potassium and are rich in protein, so should be fed sparingly, if at all.

Some people are said to use raw grated carrot occasionally as a natural wormer, but there is no evidence that this is an effective method of worming your tortoise.

It is also said to be a natural way to boost to vitamin A if a small amount is occasionally grated and added to a tortoise’s diet.

Here is the link for you, for checking other foods:
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/tortoise_home_1.asp

Status
Not open for further replies.