Carrot Soak??

thegangof5

Location (City and/or State)
Gloucestershire UK
Hi, I've got 5 horsefields ... Martha around 20/25 years old, RiffRaff @ 9yrs, Molly @ 4yrs, Billy @ 3 and Tailor at 2yrs old - all happy or appear so. Taylor likes to sleep a lot. 3babies live in one table and the other 2 roam about downstairs in the winter.
I was just reading an old forum (2021) about Diesel and wondering how did he do as I can't find anything about him after day 42 of being poorly. Plus what is a carrot soak/baby food carrots/carrot juice etc used for and how? Never heard this before and have had tortoises for 30 plus years.
Take care, keep yourselves and your babies snuggled up and warm xx

Attachments

• 20221025_021625.jpg
    20221025_021625.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
We have actually recommended baby food soaks for any tortoise that is lethargic and hasn't eaten for a while. The baby food and Pedialyte seems to help perk them up and get them wanting to eat again.
Your two that are roaming, should not be roaming loose in the house. They do need their own dedicated space.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi, I've got 5 horsefields ... Martha around 20/25 years old, RiffRaff @ 9yrs, Molly @ 4yrs, Billy @ 3 and Tailor at 2yrs old - all happy or appear so. Taylor likes to sleep a lot. 3babies live in one table and the other 2 roam about downstairs in the winter.
I was just reading an old forum (2021) about Diesel and wondering how did he do as I can't find anything about him after day 42 of being poorly. Plus what is a carrot soak/baby food carrots/carrot juice etc used for and how? Never heard this before and have had tortoises for 30 plus years.
Take care, keep yourselves and your babies snuggled up and warm xx
Hello and Welcome. Read this:

megarathebes

Arkansas
We have actually recommended baby food soaks for any tortoise that is lethargic and hasn't eaten for a while. The baby food and Pedialyte seems to help perk them up and get them wanting to eat again.
Your two that are roaming, should not be roaming loose in the house. They do need their own dedicated space.
Hey I actually found this thread just looking into food soaks because I'm 99% sure roxie isn't eating. I was wondering if someone may know if you can use other baby food? I don't have carrot but I have a fruit one that I was thinking of trying. Do you think that would be ok or should I stick with carrots and leafy green types?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We use carrot because it has the highest volume of vitamin A. When a tortoise (especially box turtles) stops eating the lack of vitamin A causes their eyes to swell shut. If your tortoise's eyes aren't swollen shut I suppose you could use any other vegetables but I don't think you'll get the same results. You especially DON'T want to use fruit for a non fruit eating species like russian, leopard, desert, etc.