Cat grass and hamster ball [emoji23][emoji23]

Location (City and/or State)
Peru IN
I found a small planter of cat grass and was wondering if that is safe for baby sulcata torts to eat bc I was thinking of putting it in my daughter's babies enclosure so he could munch on it when he likes besides the regular diet we feed him.

Also this is gonna sound strange but my daughter keeps wanting to get Mr. T a hamster ball so he can cruise around. I told her I had no idea if that was safe for him, but to let me ask y'all and see. So?

Billna the 2

Smoaks sc
I found a small planter of cat grass and was wondering if that is safe for baby sulcata torts to eat bc I was thinking of putting it in my daughter's babies enclosure so he could munch on it when he likes besides the regular diet we feed him.

Also this is gonna sound strange but my daughter keeps wanting to get Mr. T a hamster ball so he can cruise around. I told her I had no idea if that was safe for him, but to let me ask y'all and see. So?
Yes cat grass is safe

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I definitely would not use a hamster ball. Sounds way to dangerous and stressful for your tort.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings... yes to the grass, but I’m still scratching my head over the “Hamster Ball”. Not sure the why behind it. Id vote no.

Peru IN
Greetings... yes to the grass, but I’m still scratching my head over the “Hamster Ball”. Not sure the why behind it. Id vote no.
Oh and it was bc we have a cat so that way he could get plenty of free roam exercise that he greatly enjoys without us having to be right up over him to make sure the cat isn't an arse hahaha. That was all. But it's all good bc they will still get all there needs met regardless [emoji6][emoji4]

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Oh and it was bc we have a cat so that way he could get plenty of free roam exercise that he greatly enjoys without us having to be right up over him to make sure the cat isn't an arse hahaha. That was all. But it's all good bc they will still get all there needs met regardless [emoji6][emoji4]

Your tortoise should not be roaming your house at all, even under supervision. It is extremely dangerous, too cold, and stressful, especially with a baby so small. Definitely stop doing that.

Emily Contreras

Arizona
If you are going to let roam around, take it to your local park or in the front yard so it can get some grass and sun! I thought it was ok to let them around the house too, but from what people have told me, apparently its dangerous. So I take him to the dog park (btw its completely empty at all times because its hot and my dog is dog aggressive so no one goes, not even me.) Anyways yeah, hows your enclosure, what gallon tank do you have? I want to know because I just recently got a sulcata too. And Im looking for tank ideas.

Peru IN
If you are going to let roam around, take it to your local park or in the front yard so it can get some grass and sun! I thought it was ok to let them around the house too, but from what people have told me, apparently its dangerous. So I take him to the dog park (btw its completely empty at all times because its hot and my dog is dog aggressive so no one goes, not even me.) Anyways yeah, hows your enclosure, what gallon tank do you have? I want to know because I just recently got a sulcata too. And Im looking for tank ideas.
People let there sulcata have free roam of there homes so I don't understand why it's not ok for him to adventure the house?
And he is tiny but I have him in a 75 gallon tank for now with designs around the bottom so he doesn't run into the glass lol. And cypress mulch, with rocks in a couple areas to sun on (but low so he won't capsize haha) and a half log to hide under as well as his water dish which is fairly wide so he can crawl in it as well as drink, and a low food dish. Then we have a day light heat lamp that is 100 watt UVB and his night heat only lamp. 20180813_003612.jpeg

Peru IN
People let there sulcata have free roam of there homes so I don't understand why it's not ok for him to adventure the house?
And he is tiny but I have him in a 75 gallon tank for now with designs around the bottom so he doesn't run into the glass lol. And cypress mulch, with rocks in a couple areas to sun on (but low so he won't capsize haha) and a half log to hide under as well as his water dish which is fairly wide so he can crawl in it as well as drink, and a low food dish. Then we have a day light heat lamp that is 100 watt UVB and his night heat only lamp. View attachment 249402
And yes he does love his daily outdoor walks and soaks as well

Peru IN
Thank you! I love your set up!
Thanks hun, I just saw your post too. What type of basking light do you use and what are you feeding him?
Yeah I won't put mine outside until bigger because predators. At last measurement his shell was 2 1/4 inches the 8/4/2018

Peru IN
And he is tiny but I have him in a 75 gallon tank for now with designs around the bottom so he doesn't run into the glass lol. And cypress mulch, with rocks in a couple areas to sun on (but low so he won't capsize haha) and a half log to hide under as well as his water dish which is fairly wide so he can crawl in it as well as drink, and a low food dish. Then we have a day light heat lamp that is 100 watt UVB and his night heat only lamp. View attachment 249402
Mr. T lol20180825_134541~2.jpeg20180825_134452.jpeg

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas

Some people let their adult sulcatas roam their floors, but they shouldn’t. It is way too cold, extremely dangerous, and very stressful for smaller torts. A week or two ago, someone joined with a desert tort who’s shell got cracked while free roaming. A while ago, someone’s tortoise got kicked by their friend. These are just two examples of many.

Tortoises should never be allowed to roam your floor.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas

Definitely not the local park. Parks are usually treated with pesticides, and people throw all sorts of trash out there.
It’s really best to have an outdoor enclosure for outside time.

Emily Contreras

Arizona
Definitely not the local park. Parks are usually treated with pesticides, and people throw all sorts of trash out there.
It’s really best to have an outdoor enclosure for outside time.
My park has no pesticides, the owner of it is a close friend of mine, and he ensures me there is no pesticides, He also has a sulcata that he has let in that park alot!