Cat is trying to claim my torts enclosure!

StephandTay

Location (City and/or State)
Lodi, WI
I have a 6 month old cat that I caught in my torts enclosure one morning and he pooped in it! Kicked the coconut coir all around little bugger. Luckily, Tiny is not a morning tort and was sleeping in his hide. The cat isn't interested in the tort himself I think he just thought his enclosure was an awesome new giant litter box. So I had to completely empty, clean, and refill with new coir. Now when I go to bed I put a top over Tiny's enclosure so the cat stays out. Has anyone else had this problem? Was there any luck other then covering the enclosure? I am getting ready to build a new tort table which is going to be a bit larger and guess I will have to build a top for it too!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I have a 6 month old cat that I caught in my torts enclosure one morning and he pooped in it! Kicked the coconut coir all around little bugger. Luckily, Tiny is not a morning tort and was sleeping in his hide. The cat isn't interested in the tort himself I think he just thought his enclosure was an awesome new giant litter box. So I had to completely empty, clean, and refill with new coir. Now when I go to bed I put a top over Tiny's enclosure so the cat stays out. Has anyone else had this problem? Was there any luck other then covering the enclosure? I am getting ready to build a new tort table which is going to be a bit larger and guess I will have to build a top for it too!
The cat will do your tort absolutely no good and may do a lot of harm. Cover the enclosure!

N

no one

I have cats and closed enclosures for my Tortoises and for my Hedgehogs for that matter. Cats will always get in things. They can't help themselves. Cages, boxes, cabinets... Lol
So make a closed enclosure for your Tortoise, better for the humidity anyway.

TortoiseCommunity

London
I think it's just to do with the age of the cat, probably more curious when they're young. I have a cat around the same age and he's always trying to creep into my tortoises enclosure, but my adult cat is not interested as much

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I think it's just to do with the age of the cat, probably more curious when they're young. I have a cat around the same age and he's always trying to creep into my tortoises enclosure, but my adult cat is not interested as much
Guess we are kind of hanging on to this thread in the absence (?) of the OP. But it's interesting that my cat is 12 years old and just cannot stop trying to sneak somehow into my clothes closet where my snake eggs are incubating!

StephandTay

Lodi, WI
I have started to always leave the enclosure closed when no one is home or at night always. I think this has now taught the cat it is not a space for him. He seems much less interested now in the enclosure and the tort! All is well on that end :)

nezw0001

MN
my cats did the same thing when i set up my aldabra tortoise table. I used a spray bottle every time i caught them in it and now they stay out.