Cat in tortoise enclosure

Sambam1980

Location (City and/or State)
Visalia
My son moved out and left me his 13 yr old Russia tortoise. I built a small outdoor enclosure for her, which she loves. I recently got new neighbors and they have a Young cat. I went outside to check on my tort and the cat was chilling in my tort enclosure. The cat didn't mess with the tort but the tort had burrowed in her house so I'm not sure if the cat saw the tort. Now I'm scared to leave my tort outside unattended. Do all cats attack tortoise/turtles? I have a lil dog but he's scared of cats so he's no help.

Also can I train the cat to not harm the tort? I know nothing about cats, sorry

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
First how little is the enclosure? It needs to be at least 4x8 bigger if possible.
Second, use chicken wire to put a top over the enclosure. Most cats won't hurt a tortoise, unlike most dogs who will. But, I wouldn't trust the cat.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
First how little is the enclosure? It needs to be at least 4x8 bigger if possible.
Second, use chicken wire to put a top over the enclosure. Most cats won't hurt a tortoise, unlike most dogs who will. But, I wouldn't trust the cat.
I'd never trust a cat - with all my respect to those who have cats.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
My son moved out and left me his 13 yr old Russia tortoise. I built a small outdoor enclosure for her, which she loves. I recently got new neighbors and they have a Young cat. I went outside to check on my tort and the cat was chilling in my tort enclosure. The cat didn't mess with the tort but the tort had burrowed in her house so I'm not sure if the cat saw the tort. Now I'm scared to leave my tort outside unattended. Do all cats attack tortoise/turtles? I have a lil dog but he's scared of cats so he's no help.

As @wellington put it: I would never trust a cat. You had better take care.

AnnieApple

Lancashire, UK
My cat totally ignores my tortoise, I don't think the tortoise is quick enough to be of interest to the cat. It doesn't even sniff it, sometimes the cat will give it a strange look if it moves as though a rock has suddenly come to life! Even so its not a good idea to leave animals unattended, especially if unknown animals can get in.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Unfortunately, cat owners around here just let their cats roam outdoors and use the world as their hunting grounds and my yard as their litter box.
I'm not a cat person. And I'm also not an irresponsible pet owner. But with all of that said. I haven't had a single tortoise related issue when it comes to cats in my enclosures. And there is very likely one hanging out there at this very moment.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
I'd be worried, especially about a young cat, treating it like a cat toy and scratching it or worse taking out its eye as it bats it around like a toy

cbotta3000

Decatur

I would kindly ask the neighbor to control their pet. If not, call animal control and have it removed.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Maybe AC is different where you are, but most places they are so overwhelmed they don't even come and pick up strays or lost animals unless someone has already contained it, unless its bitten someone, or it is injured. I am lucky to be in a city with a good AC/shelter system and even they would tell me to **** off if I called to get a neighbor cat off my lawn...

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Cats should not be in tortoise spaces.

COmtnLady

Colorado
If a cat can get in, so can a racoon, coyote, fox, assorted rodents, and so on. Just saying it could end badly...

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I would kindly ask the neighbor to control their pet. If not, call animal control and have it removed.
ABSOLUTELY!!! I have 3 cats...INDOORS! I trap and remove neighbors loose cats regularly. I took one to Texas with me and left it there a few years ago...after I told it's owner I was trapping cats...he was too stupid to believe me. I am a cat person, however, inside cats are safer and generally live for 7 to 10 years LONGER than an outside cat. And 500 wild birds will live after you remove that cat. Trap the beast and take it to the humane shelter. I had to break this kitten from his naps with the box turtles.DSCN1005.JPG I have never had a cat attack a turtle..but there is always the first time