The Tortoise and the....Cat!?

OzzyGirl1980

Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Several times now, I've found my cat sleeping IN WITH my tortoise at night. I shooed her out of the enclosure though tort didn't seem to mind the kitty's presence. Is this something I should allow or could this arrangement be harmful to the tortoise!? So strange!?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Do not allow it. Not only could it be dangerous to the tort it could be dangerous to the cat and all of you if he starts a fire from the heating elements or gets burnt from them.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
My cat tries to do that too. I will find him sleeping in with the torts. And he knows cause I go ballistic on him. No, I don’t hurt him, just yell and get him out. I one enclosure is a closed one, he can not get in it but, my newer one is open. I have not had a chance to close it yet.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Didn't a member here (Maggie) have a cat bite the eye of her box turtle?...or something along those lines.

It's great that you're asking instead of assuming that this is ok. :)

I can list cons to this practice: fire hazard, cat hair impaction, tortoise safety etc.
I can't list any pros.
So I'd say it's a no brainer to discontinue the practice.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Didn't a member here (Maggie) have a cat bite the eye of her box turtle?...or something along those lines.

My Russian is a bully and keeps our cats afraid. But I have one cat that would torment and bully a shyer tortoise, if she could. If I found her sleeping next to a tortoise, I’d know it was her attempt to dominate and bully and I would separate them.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
My Russian is a bully and keeps our cats afraid. But I have one cat that would torment and bully a shyer tortoise, if she could. If I found her sleeping next to a tortoise, I’d know it was her attempt to dominate and bully and I would separate them.
Rosemary, it seems that you are a cat lover - so am I!!! but we have to remember that "domination and bullying" is just one of the reasons that cats and tortoises don't mix well, especially for the tortoise, and that even nice, kind, sweet cats have hair ... and don't start with the hairless cat debate...LOL!!!

Katherine Majauckas

Phoenix, AZ
Several times now, I've found my cat sleeping IN WITH my tortoise at night. I shooed her out of the enclosure though tort didn't seem to mind the kitty's presence. Is this something I should allow or could this arrangement be harmful to the tortoise!? So strange!?
I have found some neighborhood stray cats run out of my torts enclosure in the winter. I don't blame them. My tortoise comes out with cat hair all over him. It's cute. Mine has never had any problems and very few diseases are zoonotic so hopefully as long as the cat doesn't chew on the tortoise I let them enjoy the heat.

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
My eldest cat use to that with my russian. Never allow it. Too harmful for both.

M

Maggie Cummings

It's great that you're asking instead of assuming that this is ok. :)

I can list cons to this practice: fire hazard, cat hair impaction, tortoise safety etc.
I can't list any pros.
So I'd say it's a no brainer to discontinue the practice.
wish I could help you, but my memory doesn't go back that far. However, both of my cats will play with any tort I put out on the floor, but I don't remember.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I have found some neighborhood stray cats run out of my torts enclosure in the winter. I don't blame them. My tortoise comes out with cat hair all over him. It's cute. Mine has never had any problems and very few diseases are zoonotic so hopefully as long as the cat doesn't chew on the tortoise I let them enjoy the heat.

Farrel cats carry tics and can pas them on to outdoor torts ! They eat hummingbirds and our wild lizards . That’s why many people make them worm food ! I keep my torts in my yard cause I care for my torts . So cat lovers should keep them in their yards like dogs !

Rhea

Missouri
My flipping cat just discovered the tort table and I freaked! I’ve kept it from him for about 5 months but I guess since he’s a kitten, he’d figure it out! He’s crate trained so I don’t have to worry about him when I’m not here but still it’s scary! I did research on crate training and cats and I went for it! He’s crated when we are away like my dog. It’s for his own good! He’s out at night but he sleeps with me! He just wants to sit in there. But Rolo hate’s it! He chases him out and even tries to bite him! That Russian is sassy! I’m home most of the day and the enclose is in a very well traveled spot so I see it right away!

Attachments

• 00DC5BE9-64DD-45B9-9F9D-B4FB829E9624.jpeg
    00DC5BE9-64DD-45B9-9F9D-B4FB829E9624.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 7
  • 97E461F6-DFD8-4BC5-8362-D700FDD9C7D7.jpeg
    97E461F6-DFD8-4BC5-8362-D700FDD9C7D7.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 6