Tortoises with other pets?

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Richmond, VA
If you get a baby tort then a closed chamber is the best way to maintain heat and humidity. YOu would just need to make sure it locks or can't be opened by the cats. As a baby the cats could harm him, as an adult the tort could easily harm the cats. Seperation is the best in this situation. From the sounds of it the cats already have a strong place in the household and anything that would hurt them would have to go. I have 3 dogs (55, 103, & 165 pounds) and one cat. They have only seen each other as I hold the tortoise and have never touched. This ensures that the dogs don't mistake my torts for awesome chew toys and the tort doesn't bite the nose off a sniffing animal. If you can ensure they stay seperated then I wish you the best!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I also have 2 cats...and their relationship with my turtles/tortoises is easy, you keep cats out of a tortoise enclosure by putting a tortoise in it...some cats like to sleep under the basking light, but most cats will leave when the tortoise moves...I have some birds in cages around the house and my cats are even afraid to glance at the birds now...as they hate the spray bottle...;)029.JPG027.JPG

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have two cats, and I really want to get a tortoise, but my mom is really worried that the cats will try and attack the tortoise. How can I cat-proof an enclosure?
Blackdog's advice nailed it. Use a closed chamber. Its the best thing for a tortoise, and also solves the cat problem.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There are two very rambunctious kittens and one laid back adult cat that live in my house. My turtle and tortoise collection lives outside, but I occasionally have an indoor enclosure for a sick or injured turtle or tortoise. My indoor enclosures have covers on them. Here's a picture of an easy cover to make that keeps the kittens out:

cover.jpg

The covered enclosure on the table is just a frame of 1x1's with hardware cloth stapled to it. The enclosure along the wall is a Christmas Tree Storage bin with a wood framework over it for hanging the lights, then a plastic sheet draped over the whole thing. The kittens are very interested in what's inside, but never explore by themselves.

This is a cover I made out of rigid foam to cover a tortoise table on the wall of an outdoor shed:

covered table g.jpgcovered table h.jpg

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
I suggest the squirt bottle training method. My old kitty learned fast to not jump into the tortoise table to explore once I started misting here with Artys water bottle. She really stopped wanting to play up there anymore!!!!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Our desert tort LOVES cat poop! Have to keep an eye on her when she outside exploring!
Certain cat and dog medications like heart worm preventative can be passed in poop and become poisonous to tortoises......Aside from parasites.
Certain species like Redfoot eat a small amount of dead animals as well as poop in the wild. But not with medications in it.
I've found that my tortoises like to eat cat and dog poop. And that my dog likes to eat tortoise poop.
I just do everything I can to stop ALL of it.

DesertGirl

5 Year Member
Fabulous Las Vegas, NV
Certain cat and dog medications like heart worm preventative can be passed in poop and become poisonous to tortoises......Aside from parasites.
Certain species like Redfoot eat a small amount of dead animals as well as poop in the wild. But not with medications in it.
I've found that my tortoises like to eat cat and dog poop. And that my dog likes to eat tortoise poop.
I just do everything I can to stop ALL of it.
Everyone just go to your own corner. Sit. Stay.