Cat Substrate suitable for star?

Status
Not open for further replies.

agentorange

5 Year Member
Hi guys.....I am going for a 4 day holiday and would like to know if i can use the pellet type cat litter for my star's substrate? I intend to put abt an inch thick to absorb all the pee....Is this suitable? Or do you guys have any other ideas? I do not want them to live in damp area as this will make them highly prone to disease....pls help.....btw, I live in Asia and some substrate might not be available here....Thnks guys.....

BuffsTorts

5 Year Member
agentorange said:
Hi guys.....I am going for a 4 day holiday and would like to know if i can use the pellet type cat litter for my star's substrate? I intend to put abt an inch thick to absorb all the pee....Is this suitable? Or do you guys have any other ideas? I do not want them to live in damp area as this will make them highly prone to disease....pls help.....btw, I live in Asia and some substrate might not be available here....Thnks guys.....

How much humidity do you believe is required to cause health concerns?
Post pics of your setup?

agentorange

5 Year Member
HI bro....not too sure on humidity but everyday wen I come home from work, the whole plastic tank will be wet.....I am goin for 4 days holiday and a little concerned on their wellbeing....

I keep my star in a plastic container. using newspaper and timothy as substrate......no dc bro to take pics....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I can't give you advice on star tortoises because I know nothing about them, however, I, personally, would never use cat litter with MY tortoises, as a substrate. It is very absorptive and pulls the moisture out of everything...probably even your little tortoise.

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I would not do it either. Newspaper and suitable ventilation should be enough while you are away. Have the paper changed every 2 days. Best wishes

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Not only is it drying, but if your tortoise becomes curious and eats some of it, it could cause impaction and death.

agentorange

5 Year Member
Tks guys for advice....the cat litter i intend to buy is the recycled paper cat litter in pellet form but if it dehydrates my tortoises then maybe i shld think twice....
What kinda substrate shld i get then? I will be gone 4 days and need something absorbant since i canot change the bedding for those days i will be away....pls any ideas?? Thks....

agiletorts

10 Year Member!
San Jose, CA
Hmmm..., hard to recommend the ideal substrate as I don't know what's available there. How bout top soil?

agentorange

5 Year Member
Hmmm....top soil i'm not sure...got to search ard....any other suggestions? Wat abt food? Wat vege dhld i put that can last for 4 days? Must i put a water bowl?

agiletorts

10 Year Member!
San Jose, CA
Regarding food and water - I think it's been discussed many times in this forum before and people just have different opinions. You could leave some veggies or even plant them in the enclosure if that's an option, and leave a dish bowl with water. But for four days generally your torts would be OK without them as long as they're healthy to begin with. The bigger risk is if our torts climb on something and turn upside down (and some are clumsy and cannot turn by themselves) - it could be fatal. Can you have someone to check yours in between?

Status
Not open for further replies.