Catching some rays

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I’ve noticed that if I lay down on the ground he comes up and almost tries to burrow under me. It’s so cute! 🥰
That is because he is a baby and he is out and exposed and you are the only place to hide under.

Loose in the yard is a recipe for one of many disasters. It would be much safer and much more comfortable for the baby if he/she had a little outdoor enclosure with plenty of places to hide and take cover. Your climate is great for that this time of year, and there are many ways to do it.

An older sibling to your baby that is a few years old now lives in this enclosure:
IMG_1050.jpg

Here is a cheap easy way to do it:
7907461_orig.jpg

A3F4404A-AE64-43A6-8E86-C4C7BDF7B00C.jpeg
IMG_2515.JPG

rachelraines

ALABAMA
That is because he is a baby and he is out and exposed and you are the only place to hide under.

Loose in the yard is a recipe for one of many disasters. It would be much safer and much more comfortable for the baby if he/she had a little outdoor enclosure with plenty of places to hide and take cover. Your climate is great for that this time of year, and there are many ways to do it.

An older sibling to your baby that is a few years old now lives in this enclosure:
View attachment 377730

Here is a cheap easy way to do it:
View attachment 377731

View attachment 377732
View attachment 377733
I have a GREAT outdoor enclosure that I made, but currently treating it for ants with ant traps as you had suggested. I only let him out in the yard today not in that enclosure because I wanted to get the ants out! Your outdoor enclosure is GREAT! And once he gets bigger I will invest in something great lien that! For now it’s a 96 by 48 raised bed filled with clovers, hides, a soaking dish, and just planted some seeds from tortoise supply today! So hopefully by the time those are ready to be eaten his enclosure will be ant free!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a GREAT outdoor enclosure that I made, but currently treating it for ants with ant traps as you had suggested. I only let him out in the yard today not in that enclosure because I wanted to get the ants out! Your outdoor enclosure is GREAT! And once he gets bigger I will invest in something great lien that! For now it’s a 96 by 48 raised bed filled with clovers, hides, a soaking dish, and just planted some seeds from tortoise supply today! So hopefully by the time those are ready to be eaten his enclosure will be ant free!
Ugh... I HATE ants! I fight with them all summer long.

rachelraines

ALABAMA

He was out there for about 30 mins with full eyes on him. And I took most of his things from the enclosure out such as plants and hides. So if he wanted to hide he could!
Ugh... I HATE ants! I fight with them all summer long.
horrible! But the traps seem to be working and I also got the dust stuff and will put it out as soon as it seems like they have cleared out. I have noticed he LOVES cucumber