Cause for concern or not?

mibblead

Hi just wondering if anyone can enlighten me please, my torts have started to sleep outside of their bed/hide both live in separate areas but I've noticed over this past week they both seem to be favouring just randomly sleeping in their enclosures rather than taking themselves off to bed, they used to go to bed in the sleeping area once i switch the lights off at night but now they don't seem to be bothered about doing that, is that something to be concerned about or are they both just comfortable where they are?

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
As long as the temperatures are warm enough, there shouldn't be any problem. Charlie usually goes into a corner if he isn't in his hide.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
as long as where they are sleeping at night doesn't get too cold I don't see any problems. tortoises are generally creatures of habit same thing over and over butt there's no real concern here

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Joe sleeps where he darn well pleases - I move him if I feel he will be unsafe or not warm enough. There is no point moving him unless he's cooled down though because, he will just go back.

Look at it this way, your torts feel secure and safe enough to sleep in the open :)

mibblead

Aww fab thank you lovely people that's another concern ticked off the list, think I might open their sleeping areas up so the have more open area and use a slightly smaller hide in that case because their sleeping quarters are quite large so no point in it being wasted space and then come the colder months I'll change it back maybe? The next build is on the list to get a lovely huge outside area for them so they can go out once the weather turns, being in the UK it's still really cold outside at the moment so I've got another month or two to get that up and running :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Aww fab thank you lovely people that's another concern ticked off the list, think I might open their sleeping areas up so the have more open area and use a slightly smaller hide in that case because their sleeping quarters are quite large so no point in it being wasted space and then come the colder months I'll change it back maybe? The next build is on the list to get a lovely huge outside area for them so they can go out once the weather turns, being in the UK it's still really cold outside at the moment so I've got another month or two to get that up and running :)
Whereabouts in the UK are you? I am in Kent. In a sheltered spot, the sunny days are good already... I am aware that some places had snow overnight though :D

mibblead

South wales for me, we've had beaming sunshine today swiftly followed by hail and rain and now back to sunny haha its really quite cold out though because of the wind, wish the summer would hurry up and come I'm looking forward to seeing what they are like outside because i don't think they have ever been outside to roam! My husband keeps grumping because I've taken over the house with the tortoises and now I want the garden for them too :-D

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
It's been a high of 9 here with a bitter wind.... until it snowed!

Joe managed to get too hot in his favourite sheltered, basking spot though. I can tell because he only lies partly on the slate if its getting a bit warm. Local temps at ground level in full sun can be MUCH hotter than the air temperature.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1461687265.415128.jpg

Reactions: Rue

mibblead

Aww bless him ♥ it's been snowing on and off here all day today too! Crazy April weather!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Make sure it is not too cold. I live in Jordan where the climate is that of a desert: freezing cold Winter with SNOW and on the other hand boiling hot Summer. I think OLI :<3: (my beloved Greek tort) got used to it by now. Let alone that, his enclosure is inside, with a bulb and the central heating system on 99% of the time during Winter.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
if you have night heat for them which they certainly need in cold old Wales,they should be fine but I would leave the hide as an option for them - just so they have a securie place to go if they need to.
How many torts do you have?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What species of tortoise do you have, and how many?

mibblead

I've got two Hermann's I've left it as it is at the moment, George seems to favour going under a piece of cork at night and Princess just seems to switch off and sleep wherever she pleases, need to clean the two munchkins out over the weekend :)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Pairs of torts rarely works. One becomes dominant and very subtly bullies the other. It may take the form of following or pushing (often mistaken for snuggling which torts don't do), or just staring and taking the best spots which is what could be happening here. It can become far more aggressive such as barging or trying to flip over or even biting causing injury. Torts are very territorial and don't need friends because company = competition for space, basking spots and food etc. The male could also harass the female to mate and make her life a misery. So you should be prepared to separate and let each have their own space.
Groups of torts may work if the gender mix is right and you have loads of space to allow them to spread out.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...together-a-lesson-learned-the-hard-way.94114/

Last edited: