CB baby greek setup help+?'s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweetie17n

5 Year Member
I'm getting a new greek baby on Tuesday. They can't send him now because of the heat. I've made him a temp home which I hope is going to be good enough for now. I have a 75 watt heat bulb in the clamp lamp, a 15W, 120V, T8 tropical 25 for the UVB light. (It'll normally be a little further out in the main area, i pushed it back to get a pic of the whole enclosure)

I'm using alfalfa pellets as substrate right now, is that okay? I have sphygum moss also but didn't put any in, not sure where to put it? I only have one hide box on the warm side, should I add another on the hot side? I have the alfalfa deeper in there too so he can burrow if he wants. What type of substrate do you usually use?

I was told the Greeks need low humidity but reading through here it seems they need humidity? And there's a calcium bone in there, is that better that the calcium powder or should I add the powder + D3 to it too? And somewhere I read daily, every other day, and twice and week? Which would be correct?

In the water bowl I'll be adding some stones so he can't tip it. It's there anything else I should add? Any help would be appreciated. My husband is currently working on a bigger place for him out of our bookcase but I dont know when he'll finish it.

Thanks so much for any help. I want to do the best I can for him!

turt2.jpg

turt.jpg

Lilithlee

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
I've heard that pellet are bad for a substrate because it bad on their legs. I use Cypress mulch.

Sweetie17n

5 Year Member
I've heard the mulch is bad for the same reason for babies? What about cocoa sand? Maybe I could mix that with the alfalfa until I use up the alfalfa?

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I use cypress with my little ones with no problem I would not use sand for impaction reasons you could use some organic soil

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Sweetie17n:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

TurtleTortoise

5 Year Member
Michigan
I would not use alfalfa pellets. If it gets wet that would be bad. I use bed a beast (coconut coir fiber) and mist it every morning because it dries out. As babies they need more moisture than when they become adults. I would keep the calcium bone in but still use the powder every week. For the Hide box and sphagnum moss I would add another hide on the hot side and put the sphagnum moss inside the hides. I would also soak him every week in warm but not hot water. The reason for all the moisture for babies is for proper shell growth.
Good luck!:)

-:tort:

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
Welcome to TFO! I would steer clear of the pellets for a few reasons, too loose for a hatchling to walk on, do not hold enough moisture, and mold easily. I have been using cypress mulch with no problems for my Sulcata hatchling. It seems to hold moisture very well even in the dry AZ heat. Boulder walks fine on it and digs a little sleeping spot. I have never seen mold on it anywhere.

wrmitchell22 said:
Welcome to TFO! I would steer clear of the pellets for a few reasons, too loose for a hatchling to walk on, do not hold enough moisture, and mold easily. I have been using cypress mulch with no problems for my Sulcata hatchling. It seems to hold moisture very well even in the dry AZ heat. Boulder walks fine on it and digs a little sleeping spot. I have never seen mold on it anywhere.

Also is the dome lamp going to be a basking spot? Your tort will appreciate a basking spot to soak up the uva/uvb and digest his/her food. You need a hot and cool side so the tort can regulate their temp on it's own :)

Status
Not open for further replies.