New Greek tortoise owner in need of help.

Greektort2015

Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
I am a new owner and need some help on substrate for a baby Greek? Is reptile carpet ok to use? Or walnut shells? Please help. I am in Canada and there arn't many tortoise products available where I am. Do I need to feed him/her grassland tortoise pellets? Can I feed him alfalfa or Timothy hay?

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Reptile carpet and walnut shells are not good. Try a garden store if you can't find what you need at a pet store.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Please read the care sheet I have written specifically for what you're asking about. It's pinned at the top of this forum. Top soil and/or coconut coir are best for a hatchling.

Greektort2015

Ontario, Canada
Thank you, I bought the coconut coir. I had the pet store help me pick out lighting but I'm afraid it won't work. They gave me a 100w basking bulb to use in a 75 w light fixture. And a tropical 25w uvb long bulb which flickers. I'm so lost. Im going to bring that back and look into a uvb Mercury bulb. My enclosure is 12" high should I get the 100w or 160w? Thank you for your info.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
A good mercury uvb is better as it provides heat, light and uvb.
Personally, I'd start with the 100w and take it back and exchange it if it doesn't get hot enough.
Remember you can raise or lower the bulb to some extent to adjust the heat, but be careful it's near to the manufacturer's distance guidelines.