New Greek

joekoh

Hi all

Got a Greek Tortoise for close to a month. Not eating or moving much (hiding inside hideout) after installing Acradia UVB flou light and incadescent basking light.

Staying at tropics so temperature is about 30 degree Celsius year round.

Substrate is mixed of paper pellets, aspen and Timothy hay. There a moist hide out with coconut coir.

Been doing daily warm soak for 30mins each session.

Btw, saw it nibble on the Timothy hay a little. Pic as attached. ImageUploadedByTortForum1398162717.803883.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1398162737.749411.jpg

Cheers
Joe

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Remove the substrate and use all coir or dirt. They pellets and hay are too drying and the pellets, just are not good.
The hay can be used for food if he is eating it. What other things are you feeding? Soakings are how often and water is available 24/7 correct?

joekoh

I'm feeding variety of leafy begginers, romaine lettuce, Kayle, cAtus pad, carrots etc. mixed with Mazuri not eating tough.

I've a moist coco coir hide. Greeky go inside and sometimes the dry hideout.

Wonder if it's not feeling well or stubborn in new environment to eat;/

ez13e42

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Madison, WI
try turnip greens, mine seems to love it, its the only thing he'll finish

milkandsam

5 Year Member
Listen to wellington! Hatchling Greeks need to be kept in a high humidity environment throughout the entire enclosure! I have my hatchling on coco coir and organic soil! My hatchling was super picky at first, I had to find one thing he liked and then add fro. There. Also, I'm thinking carrots not a great part of the diet... only on occassion! Mine loved endive to begin with... now eats anything!

First thing, double check your temps and change the substrate asap or you will dry out your hatchlings insides!

joekoh

Cool. It's interesting that over in states young tortoise yr house in high humidity enclosure. Over in tropics, even Hong Kong. They are house using pellets or hay.

As mentioned carrots are given part of diet and not as main.