New Greeks , need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
I have just bought three Greek tortoises , they will be here Tuesday I think and hope.
I just wanted to describe how I was going to keep them so I could get commits and advice now so I have time to adjust their enclosure and make it perfect before they arrive.
Their going to be in a large storage bin that I bought from WalMart
Dimensions : 39.5" L x 20.25" W x 7" H
0007314999586_500X500.jpg

I'm gonna leave one half hinged up like this
0007314999586_AV_500X500.jpg

That's the side the lights are gonna be
A 10.0 UVB fluorescent tube (Reptisun)
100 watt CHE heater and 75 watt basking light
I was planing on keeping the basking area around 90 degrees and the rest of the enclosure at least 75-80 degrees
Are those temps okay ?
Substrate is Eco earth coconut coir and peat moss for digging
Humidity around 80% with a humid hide
Last is diet , they will get supplements of liquid vitamin d3 and calcium
Collard greens, mustard greens, turnip greens, cactus pad , kale
A herbal salad mix that has
Timothy Hay
lavender flowers
Oat Hay
Red Clover
Strawberry leaf
Chamomile blossoms
Dandelion leaf
Plantain Leaf
And a hay salad mix that contains a variety of hays that includes Oat, Timothy and/or Orchard grass hay chopped and blended together.
And grazing grass that contains
Crimson Clover
Red Clover
Creeping Red Fescue
Turnip Greens
Fescue
Kentucy Blue Grass
Orchard Grass
Wheat Grass
Oat Grass
Rye Grass
Barley Grass
Chia
Chicory
Timothy Grass

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
ascott said:
I think they will like the sweaters too.....mmmm warm and comfy :p:p:p:p:p:p

I know right lol :p

Oo and here is a picture of what they look like :) idk how I am going to be able to tell them apart

image-1411522332.png

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
at 7" high I'm not sure that's enough room to provide some substrate to burrow into without being to climb out over the top. Have you considered a tort table/bookcase on its back type enclosure? You can use lids from containers like this to keep humidity in. Are they adults or babies?

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
pdrobber said:
at 7" high I'm not sure that's enough room to provide some substrate to burrow into without being to climb out over the top. Have you considered a tort table/bookcase on its back type enclosure? You can use lids from containers like this to keep humidity in. Are they adults or babies?

They won't be in this little enclosure for long and they r just little babies .
I can create a lip so that they can't escape :) I'm pretty sure they r really small. I posted a picture of the size and look

MatrixDJ

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
LOL @ ascott!!

Welcome to the Forum!!! http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Athena-s-new-table#axzz1fVTkQzUp Here is a link to the table I built to give you a good idea of what to look for. Your temps are good if you raise them about 5 degrees. You're looking for about 95-100 in basking area and 80-85 in the daytime. 65-75 at night time. Humidity should be at about a constant 60-70%. Just make sure you keep the hide warm and humid. Cold and humid can cause them to get sick. Your substrate is good. You should also get a spray bottle to help keep the top of the coco-coir damp. I spray Naiya once a day too, directly. In the long run you are going to need a larger table if not an outside area if you are to keep three. Good luck with the new babies and we all love pictures :) What is your name by the way?

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
MatrixDJ said:
LOL @ ascott!!

Welcome to the Forum!!! http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Athena-s-new-table#axzz1fVTkQzUp Here is a link to the table I built to give you a good idea of what to look for. Your temps are good if you raise them about 5 degrees. You're looking for about 95-100 in basking area and 80-85 in the daytime. 65-75 at night time. Humidity should be at about a constant 60-70%. Just make sure you keep the hide warm and humid. Cold and humid can cause them to get sick. Your substrate is good. You should also get a spray bottle to help keep the top of the coco-coir damp. I spray Naiya once a day too, directly. In the long run you are going to need a larger table if not an outside area if you are to keep three. Good luck with the new babies and we all love pictures :) What is your name by the way?

Rebecca and I have no idea what I am going to name my three new babies. I have a lot of outside space for them , when summer comes they will spend all day outside and nights inside and that storage thing is very temporary lol soon they will get a huge cage like my sulcata Guptas for the winter. Probably next winter. Thanks for all the advice :)

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
You can tell them apart by putting a tiny dot of different colored nail polish on each. Just make sure that it is in the center of the scute and does not cover the scute seams.

KristinasPictures413959.jpg

KristinasPictures160.jpg

It makes it nice and easy to record weights, etc. if you know which one is which. By the time it wears off, their individual characterisitics will have developed enough that it will no longer be necessary. ;)

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
That's an awesome idea thanks!!!
I love your Burmese mountain tortoise :) id like to some day have three or so of those.

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
They sure are cute! As far as the bin thing for the enclosure... I saw it in the store and went against it since its so shallow. I would go with the concrete cement mixers that are typically sold at Lowes or Home Depot... something like this.. http://www.lowes.com/pd_19252-1569-ST3608_0__? it tends to work better in the end in my opinion.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
BrinnANDGupta said:
That's an awesome idea thanks!!!
I love your Burmese mountain tortoise :) id like to some day have three or so of those.

You are welcome ;) I have a group of 4, they are definitely cool little tortoises. I can't wait until they reach adult size!

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
This a little side note but I'm not sure what peoples signature means when they have 1.3 or 2.4 tortoises lol

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
The first number is males, the second females, and the third is unknown sex. So 1.1.3 Sulcata means that I have one male, one female, and three of unknown sex. 2.5 Hingebacks means that I have 2 males and 5 females, etc.

MatrixDJ

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Mao Senpai said:
They sure are cute! As far as the bin thing for the enclosure... I saw it in the store and went against it since its so shallow. I would go with the concrete cement mixers that are typically sold at Lowes or Home Depot... something like this.. http://www.lowes.com/pd_19252-1569-ST3608_0__? it tends to work better in the end in my opinion.

That is a good idea!!! I will use this when I get a second greek for the temp. quarantine area! Thank you!!

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
update

I just got my greeks into today!!!
they are amzing, they are Ibera greeks. i posted a picture of all three of them in their new enclosure.
I was worried about them being able to crawl out of that shallow of a enclosure but there is no way they can. they are very , very small :) but super , super healthy. within just 30 minutes they were eating and crawling around like mad! i already love them , of course I haven't forgotten about my Gupta lol
They are a little bit bigger than a quarter
the picture looks blurry but if you click on it, it gets much bigger and way more clear

image-922106277.png

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
I'll weigh them later and post it and Chris , the guy I got them from , and ask how old they are. He told me all this before I bought them I just forget and unfortunately probably don't have the email anymore lol I thought you said around two months old but I could be way wrong and I am going to guess they weigh 10-20 grams haha

MatrixDJ

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I'm guessing 5-15 if they are the size of a quarter. Naiya is 2" long and she weighs 30g. Congrats on those babies though they are very nice looking

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I was thinking the sides on that storage container weren't high enough too, but then I had a brain storm. What if you were to cut out the middle of one of the lids, leaving the edge as a lip all around the habitat. That way they couldn't climb out.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
o well they are way too small to crawl out , like way too small lol

MatrixDJ said:
I'm guessing 5-15 if they are the size of a quarter. Naiya is 2" long and she weighs 30g. Congrats on those babies though they are very nice looking

thank you!!! I pretty much love them :)

Status
Not open for further replies.