CDT just pee'd up a storm

Status
Not open for further replies.

nancykj

5 Year Member
my big desert tortoise, ares, just pee'd his brains out today. i have had him for 17 years and put him safely into hibernation every winter without ever giving this sort of thing a second thought! i would never had noticed if he had pee'd.
now that i have, is this a concern so close to hibernation? he is still very active, still wants to eat his cactus pear fruit, but it is cooling down here in the san fernando valley, and i do not want him to be dehydrated going into his big sleep.
any suggestions? i plan to soak him this friday. thanks!!

nancykj

5 Year Member
pretty clear actually... very clear, in fact. just a little patch of whiteness. that is why i had to look twice to make sure it was indeed urine. which it was

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles, CA
Sounds like he's well hydrated to me. And since you're soaking and he's still eating hydrating foods like cactus, he'll be able to refill his water stores before he goes down.

Gomez peed today too, and then ate every darn sprig of clover in the yard. The whole event had a last supper feel to it, almost like he knows the rain is coming tomorrow and he won't be out foraging again for a while.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I would not be offering food to the tort if he is going to be allowed to brumate...also, I would be sure to offer up a long warm soak to help refill his reserves...

Status
Not open for further replies.