CDT outside housing

65redroses

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Cayucos California
Hi all,

I'm building a outside enclosure for my CDT. I live on the Central Coast. What is the best thing to use as a house and how do I heat it. Going to be hard to run electrify out to their pen. Any ideas? Do they need heat all year round? I will probably box them up and hibernate them again come fall. Can you use like a cold frame for plants for them? Help and ideas. Thanks.

65redroses

5 Year Member
Cayucos California
So disappointing that people here never leave comments or advise when you ask for it. How come? Is there a clue that you see on a post that tells you not to bother with that person? Is it because you're new at this? I don't get it. Thanks anyways.

erdavis

5 Year Member
Gainesville, Fl (Go Gators!)
I'm not the expert but they need a heat source if it's going to drop below a certain temperature. I don't understand the cold frame thing so I can't help you with that. But I think the reason why you don't have comments yet is because it was still work time for many people when you posted this, just getting off work. Also it is hard for people to tell you ideas for a outdoor house because there are so many different possibilities. Some people use those rubbermade sheds, some build stuff. I know someone uses a doghouse. There's really endless possibilities. We don't know what you're capable of doin, if you have a budget, if you can build stuff etc. You're best bet would be to look around at the enclosure section and find what you think might work best for you. Find a few good ideas and then ask questions about those specific ones, it will be a lot easier for us to help you that way. There's really sooo many possibilities. Hope some of this helps. Maybe soon someone with more experience will come help :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
You only asked your question 3 hours ago. Please, give it a while before getting upset that you don't have responses.

I acquired a CDT this winter and kept him heated over winter since he didn't brumate. Once warm spring weather comes around, I won't use heat at all.

Wait for others who have kept the CDT longer than I have to chime in.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
65redroses said:
So disappointing that people here never leave comments or advise when you ask for it. How come? Is there a clue that you see on a post that tells you not to bother with that person? Is it because you're new at this? I don't get it. Thanks anyways.

I don't have CDT but I know for sure that new member always get lots attention. Not many people having CDT, so the respond maybe slow.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
this should be moved to the proper area.. it night get more replys there.. I have mine outside 24-7 with no heat.. but im in Calif.. inland.. coast is different..

65redroses

5 Year Member
Cayucos California
Team Gomberg said:
You only asked your question 3 hours ago. Please, give it a while before getting upset that you don't have responses.

I acquired a CDT this winter and kept him heated over winter since he didn't brumate. Once warm spring weather comes around, I won't use heat at all.

I totally apologize, I live in Cayucos near Morro Bay. So you think they will need heat or will they just adapt? I will bring them in for winter to hibernate.

Team Gomberg said:

I apologize.

Laura said:
this should be moved to the proper area.. it night get more replys there.. I have mine outside 24-7 with no heat.. but im in Calif.. inland.. coast is different..

I apologize.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I see two things going on here...you will have cooler temps along with higher humidity....right? I say this in comparison to their more arid area....now, I know you support brumation for them, so winter will be covered.....I would offer a place that you can keep the night temps from dropping too low...what is a typical temp for summer time nights there where you are?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I see two main reasons why you are not getting much response.
1. People don't know the answer. Yours is an unusual situation that most people avoid, so few have experience with it.
2. People don't want to "get into it" with you. When someone is told their climate and environment is all wrong for the species they have chosen, the reaction is predictable and usually unpleasant. I am a callous a*****e and I care more about your tortoises health and welfare than your feelings, so I AM willing to get into it with you. My lack of tact is bad for some situations, but good for others. So here comes your not-so-sugar-coated answer:

Your climate is all wrong for this species. Cold, clammy and overcast will make them sick in no time at all. Think how different your climate is from the Mojave dessert. I started my "tortoise career" in the mid 80's in pet stores in the South Bay down south of you. Hermosa/Redondo Beach area. We rehabbed an endless stream of sick CDTs from people who tried to keep them in coastal areas. Often the only rehab they needed was to be moved inland a bit. It just does not work near the coast UNLESS some considerable time, effort and money is spent on the problem. It can be done, but you will need to do some construction, run some electrical lines, spend some cash and give a lot of thought to your designs.

Here is how I would solve your problem: Since your weather is all wrong, you need to make a retreat where the "weather" is more suitable for your tortoise. I would build THIS: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-20527.html Build it exactly the same, but add a hanging fixture with a 160 watt mercury vapor bulb set on a timer on one side or the other to create a warmer basking spot inside during the day. This way, your tortoise has the right "weather" everyday, but he can still come out, graze and enjoy the sunshine on your occasional warmer summer day. I would set the ambient for 80 most of the year, and you can gradually reduce it when hibernation time comes around. Remember that cold + clammy = a sick CDT. Warm + "sunny" = a healthy CDT.

If this seems harsh and hurt your feelings, I apologize. I hope that this info will save your tortoises life and give you two many happy healthy years together.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
*sprinkles sugar over Tom*

Is that better now? Do you feel more sugar coated? ;) :D

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
And this is why i dont have a CDT... DAMN YOU SAN FRANCISCO! DAMN YOU!!!!!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Well I have a few ADT . But I'm sorry cause I usually repy to everybody but I gess I missed you . But being from AZ where it's dry I wouldn't be much help , but Tom is a nice man and he helps ya a lot . Have a great tort day