Cedar Wood

Maggy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Salt Lake City, Utah
I am getting ready to build a new enclosure for my little Hermanns. I know cedar isn't good for them but if I put down a tarp so they weren't in contact would that be ok?

daniellenc

Maryland
I think them walking on a tarp to prevent contact with the substrate would negate the purpose of the substrate. Additionally, there are other safe options at a similar price point. Cypress and coconut bark/mulch or even coir come to mind and don't have the fumes that cause respiratory irritation. If I misinterpreted your tarp idea I apologize, but I am unsure how else it would be used.

daniellenc

Maryland
Oh I mean the actual enclosure being build out of cedar not the substrate being cedar
Lol sorry that makes more sense now I was confused. Same principal though here - no cedar. It has fumes and oils that are not safe in a closed space and is usually treated with chemicals that also are not safe. Go for plywood or PVC if you can. All wood rots and PVC is much easier to clean. If you go wood go untreated plain old plywood and seal with an animal safe sealant multiple times before use.

Maggy

5 Year Member
Salt Lake City, Utah
Lol sorry that makes more sense now I was confused. Same principal though here - no cedar. It has fumes and oils that are not safe in a closed space and is usually treated with chemicals that also are not safe. Go for plywood or PVC if you can. All wood rots and PVC is much easier to clean. If you go wood go untreated plain old plywood and seal with an animal safe sealant multiple times before use.
Ok awesome thanks! Does anyone have any good sealant they use that I can find at home depot?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It is the fumes from cedar that make it bad. A tarp or sealant won't stop those fumes. Need to use something else to build it. Cedar wood is also very expensive. Regular plywood would be much easier and cheaper.

There is nothing sold at Home Depot that will stand up to the constant exposure to wet substrate. You need non-toxic boat paint, or Pond Shield.