Centipedegrass and crape myrtles

Location (City and/or State)
Gulf Coast of Florida
So, living in the south US, we have lots of these. The grass in my yard is centipede and I have several varieties of crape myrtle trees planted. I have spent hours and cannot find mention of my grass or trees in relation to feeding tortoises. Any ideas?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Never even heard of centipede grass! Any pictures?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Yep. It's good stuff. A Chinese origin grass kinda like zoysia. No issues with it at all. Crepe myrtles I believe come labeled as toxic if consumed. But I use these plants in many many enclosures and have never seen a tortoise even taste the leafs, or flowers. No issue on either of those. Not certain what the nutitional breakdown of the centipede grass is though, it's a slender fiber grass, typically your broad leave grasses are higher in fiber. But most grasses rule around the similar threshold of being a very beneficial staple diet with added other varieties of sorts.

Gulf Coast of Florida
Yep. It's good stuff. A Chinese origin grass kinda like zoysia. No issues with it at all. Crepe myrtles I believe come labeled as toxic if consumed. But I use these plants in many many enclosures and have never seen a tortoise even taste the leafs, or flowers. No issue on either of those. Not certain what the nutitional breakdown of the centipede grass is though, it's a slender fiber grass, typically your broad leave grasses are higher in fiber. But most grasses rule around the similar threshold of being a very beneficial staple diet with added other varieties of sorts.
Awesome, thank you! It's not my favorite grass, but it's what builders put down in new constructions here, and we bought a new home this year. It's kind of a weak grass, I've had to baby it a lot.

But good to know :) When I build my enclosure outside for daytime grazing I won't worry about the grass.