Ceramic Heat emitter safety in closed chamber?

Firstimeleopard

Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
Hi all,

I have an important question please about ceramic heat emitters- I am reading about everyone using them, but I can’t figure out how to safely use one in a *closed* chamber.. do you have any concerns about fire safety when using it inside a chamber? How close can you let it get to the tortoise?? Help please

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi all,

I have an important question please about ceramic heat emitters- I am reading about everyone using them, but I can’t figure out how to safely use one in a *closed* chamber.. do you have any concerns about fire safety when using it inside a chamber? How close can you let it get to the tortoise?? Help please
Use a ceramic based fixture with an aluminum hood and properly hang the fixture from the ceiling. Use a thermostat to control the temperature.

Start here:

Firstimeleopard

New Jersey
Use a ceramic based fixture with an aluminum hood and properly hang the fixture from the ceiling.
Thank you Tom. So I have the zilla thermostat and I do have a ceramic hood covering, but is there any concern about the substrate (using Repitbark) overheating and catching fire? I am trying to figure out how to cover the wire top with plexiglass glass if possible- I did buy a tortoise table before I knew all the problems with heat and humidity retention (why do they sell these things when it’s so

Attachments

• 5A891243-6C0D-4A78-8E9C-458BF89E4DCE.jpeg
    5A891243-6C0D-4A78-8E9C-458BF89E4DCE.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
...but is there any concern about the substrate (using Repitbark) overheating and catching fire?
If that is remotely possible, you have it mounted WAYYYYYY too close. Check the temperature under your CHE and adjust the height or the wattage accordingly. The substrate also needs to remain damp, so that should further inhibit combustion.

I am trying to figure out how to cover the wire top with plexiglass glass if possible- I did buy a tortoise table before I knew all the problems with heat and humidity retention (why do they sell these things when it’s so...
Two reasons: They are ignorant, and they make money selling them.