Ceratonia siliqua (carob tree) - edible?

Alex and the Redfoot

Location (City and/or State)
Cyprus
Hello!

We have a lot of carob trees growing around (Ceratonia siliqua). Can I feed leaves to my tortoise?

So far, I was able to find only carob pods composition (rather common legumes profile with high sugars and protein but good Ca to P ratio and non-toxic), but no meaningful info about the leaves.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Carob leaves are relished by browsing livestock

However if you look through the reference list, there's several about the effects of tannins

ex: https://www.researchgate.net/public...-Containing_Leaves_Ceratonia_siliqua_by_Sheep
The nutritional value of carob leaves (CL) and the effectiveness of increasing amounts (12.5,25,32, and 50 g/day) of polyethylene glycol 4000 (PEG) supplemented once daily in overcoming the negative effect of tannins in carob leaves, were examined in four Merino ewes. Ewes fed solely CL were not able to sustain their body weights, and excreted in feces more protein than was consumed

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Carob leaves are relished by browsing livestock

However if you look through the reference list, there's several about the effects of tannins

ex: https://www.researchgate.net/public...-Containing_Leaves_Ceratonia_siliqua_by_Sheep
The nutritional value of carob leaves (CL) and the effectiveness of increasing amounts (12.5,25,32, and 50 g/day) of polyethylene glycol 4000 (PEG) supplemented once daily in overcoming the negative effect of tannins in carob leaves, were examined in four Merino ewes. Ewes fed solely CL were not able to sustain their body weights, and excreted in feces more protein than was consumed
Thank you!
Interesting, that tannins content in leaves is comparable to mulberry. And carob has higher Ca to P ratio. Carob pods are worse in that aspects but fed to livestock extensively.

Otherwise it looks safe to feed in moderation (I hope I didn't misinterpret the tables and paper).

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Hello!

We have a lot of carob trees growing around (Ceratonia siliqua). Can I feed leaves to my tortoise?

So far, I was able to find only carob pods composition (rather common legumes profile with high sugars and protein but good Ca to P ratio and non-toxic), but no meaningful info about the leaves.
Maybe @RosemaryDW knows something? Not sure though