Chaco Chaco

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Damn.

Have you got any eggs on the go now?
Nope. The only specimen left form these 3 is the male. The female perished from renal failure. Very sad. This is a species that is kept way too often in the trade extremely dry. I've got 2 young ones around a year old though, hoping they're female for the male. I had our taxidermy friend preserve the female shells. Paper thin carapace. A shame really. All in good time though should be producing this species again.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Nope. The only specimen left form these 3 is the male. The female perished from renal failure. Very sad. This is a species that is kept way too often in the trade extremely dry. I've got 2 young ones around a year old though, hoping they're female for the male. I had our taxidermy friend preserve the female shells. Paper thin carapace. A shame really. All in good time though should be producing this species again.
I didn't realize there are 3 different chaco regional variations.
Any chance of seeing photos of the carapace?

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Glad this thread was revisited. Lots of amazing information, Kelly. Thank you, again.

Big affirmation on husbandry. People, people, people ... stop baking your tortoises! As a result of previous too dry, the renal failure, the female died. Very sad to have read that. Very, very sad.

One year for babies is insane. The host countries have to, have to, have to protect these little ones.

Good luck with the two littles, Kelly! Thanks for the good 'fo!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I didn't realize there are 3 different chaco regional variations.
Any chance of seeing photos of the carapace?
Yes indeed.

They aren't legitimately documented or official though. But I am certain they will be, vastly different.

Regionally you have the northern locality
Chelonoidis Chilensis petersi
Will venture into regions of Bolivia are smaller than southern and central populations.

Central locality
Chelonoidis chilensis chilensis
Most common among this species.

Southern locality
Chelonoidis chilensis donoborosi
This locality is incredible. This one is the closest related to the Galapagos and exhibits very very similar living habits, they are found in very very desolate volcanic rocky hills and only consume a handful of endemic species of succulents and grasses that only grow in those regions. Super awesome locality. Only seen one specimen offered for sale around 20 years ago. In Argentina they are classified extremely endangered.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Glad this thread was revisited. Lots of amazing information, Kelly. Thank you, again.

Big affirmation on husbandry. People, people, people ... stop baking your tortoises! As a result of previous too dry, the renal failure, the female died. Very sad to have read that. Very, very sad.

One year for babies is insane. The host countries have to, have to, have to protect these little ones.

Good luck with the two littles, Kelly! Thanks for the good 'fo!
Agreed. Especially after working the deal for over 2 years and paying a small fortune to see such an end is tragic.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Yes indeed.

They aren't legitimately documented or official though. But I am certain they will be, vastly different.

Regionally you have the northern locality
Chelonoidis Chilensis petersi
Will venture into regions of Bolivia are smaller than southern and central populations.

Central locality
Chelonoidis chilensis chilensis
Most common among this species.

Southern locality
Chelonoidis chilensis donoborosi
This locality is incredible. This one is the closest related to the Galapagos and exhibits very very similar living habits, they are found in very very desolate volcanic rocky hills and only consume a handful of endemic species of succulents and grasses that only grow in those regions. Super awesome locality. Only seen one specimen offered for sale around 20 years ago. In Argentina they are classified extremely endangered.
Think I need to read up on this species some more.
So what sort of temps do the southern localities have to endure annually?

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
That was fun to see! Thanks for the share Will. A little worried at how much the tortoises were picked up. Hope they hydrated them before leaving. The camera should have stooped down. Maybe the trip was before GoPro came to be.

They look like thrown in the wash and now I shrunk sulcatas. And a few look like desert tortoises slash sulcatas. They are beautiful. Yes, wish we could see more being expertly captive bred.

Now this. Kinda sad. Kinda creepers. Have y'all seen this? The company itself. Who knew?

http://www.skullsunlimited.com/record_species.php?id=4198

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield

'cause it's soooo darn difficult to google things, so that's the direct link.

Yeah, snappy a$$hole Will woke up this morning.
Finally got chance to watch it, an excellent video, with some disturbing parts.
I missed what year this was, was the DNA results every published. Are the northern and southern the same specie, sub species or different species. Has it been proved?
Funny how the central regions show morphs of both northern and southern, is it natural hybridization.
I often wonder about this with redfoots, maybe even yellowfoots mixed in and man interfering making the whole carbonaria and denticulata one big mess..
Anyway thanks, really enjoyed watching.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
The first part of the narrative says 'In 2008 ...". Results have been published, I do not think there is a peer reviewed paper changing the report linked here in this post. They would be inter-grades along a cline not hybrids.

http://www.iucn-tftsg.org/wp-content/uploads/file/Accounts/crm_5_000_checklist_v5_2012.pdf page 000.276

There seems to have been no clarification that indicates subspecies http://www.iucnredlist.org/details/9007/0

Result that came from the data collected while the video was made. The video that was made in 2008.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/academia.edu.documents/41259115/Northern_genetic_richness_and_southern_p20160115-2938-x40dvs.pdf?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ56TQJRTWSMTNPEA&Expires=1474308227&Signature=F42+ZWyg0DJKWovqzb583/gzOe8=&response-content-disposition=inline; filename=Northern_genetic_richness_and_southern_p.pdf

However I would like if anyone has some text to the contrary to post it so we can see.

Texangie

5 Year Member
Bellville, Texas, USA
I have successfully kept a Chaco Tortoise in an outdoor fenced enclosure for over 20 years. He eats Romaine, yellow squash, tomatoes and adores watermelon...even the rind. His care has been minimal, he thrives well and when temps get below 60, about mid October, I bring him in the house, sometimes until March...he stays in a box under the bed, covered with a towel, if he moves around I take him out for a few hours of sun and water...then before nightfall, I bring him back in to the box. He loves the gravel area we have fenced for him and nibbled on any plant brave enough to try and grow there..I'm 50 miles west of Houston, Texas...never have seen another Chaco Tortoise..if any other Chaco owners are in my area, my Chaco is a male and would love to help continue the species here. He wandered into our lives and we have learned everything we can in 20 years to keep him healthy...it has not been that dificult.

Texangie

5 Year Member
Bellville, Texas, USA
0710171136e.jpg 0710171136e.jpg 0710171132c.jpg 0710171132c.jpg Chaco came walking across the end of our driveway out in Spring, Texas over 20 years ago. He's been a family member ever since. Easy keeper, he goes into a small dog carrier lid every nite or when it rains...Texas weather seems to suit him fine.

Texangie

5 Year Member
Bellville, Texas, USA
Still trying to figure out adding and removing pictures...
Anyway, he is 8 inches long front to tail on his shell. Friendly and also wanted to mention...when March comes I usually sit him in about 2 inches of warm water to clean him...he loves it, then I use a toothbrush and try to clean the grooves on his back and sides..has a great conversation piece with friends. Never use soap, but sometimes I rub his shell with pure vitamin E oil.0710171136.jpg

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Absolutely beautiful, chunky, healthy looking! NICE.