Chain link for outdoor enclosure floor?

NYGiants-1925

Location (City and/or State)
Catskills NY
Hello all, going to start a couple of outdoor enclosures for my Russians. Going to use 2x for the walls but I am worried about the ground. I don't want animals digging in from underneath. They also won't be out 24/7. Just on nice days to get some sun and enjoy the weather. Bring them back in at night. I was thinking of using chain link fence fabric on the floor and either adding some top soil and planting grass seed or just letting the grass that is there just grow up through the fencing. They prefer to use their hides instead of digging, so that shouldn't be much of an issue. The other concern I had is I have a lot of chipmunks here. They could still get through the chain link. Not sure if chipmunks would harm a Russian tortoise or not. I could try hardware cloth, but that wont last long on the ground, and I don't want them getting their feet or nails stuck on that.

Just curious what people's opinions are. Thanks.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I did the same but with an extra dog ex pen I had. I laid it on the ground and then put the fence on top of it at the edge. I just let the grass and weeds grow thru. This way anything that was already there he could eat, he could still get thru. After about a year or so, the ex pen has disappeared, still there but can't even see it.
I would have used chain link if I didn't already have the ex pen

NYGiants-1925

Catskills NY
I did the same but with an extra dog ex pen I had. I laid it on the ground and then put the fence on top of it at the edge. I just let the grass and weeds grow thru. This way anything that was already there he could eat, he could still get thru. After about a year or so, the ex pen has disappeared, still there but can't even see it.
I would have used chain link if I didn't already have the ex pen
Thanks. I was thinking it should be safe. Love that someone else has tried it and it is working.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
@Yvonne G gave me good advice that if you line the inside walls with pavers, they will dig alongside the pavers, that worked well for me. He only had one spot where he dug down a bit and I bought these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BJVHQQMV/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20 for "spot protection".

Some are bigger diggers than others though, and I suspect mine is less than others...

Here is a photo of my enclosure with the paving stones around the inside...

Attachments

• IMG_8052.jpg
    IMG_8052.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
@Yvonne G gave me good advice that if you line the inside walls with pavers, they will dig alongside the pavers, that worked well for me. He only had one spot where he dug down a bit and I bought these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BJVHQQMV/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20 for "spot protection".

Some are bigger diggers than others though, and I suspect mine is less than others...

That's an idea that would work. Much more labor behind it and more that can scratch and damage the shell
With fencing, drop it down, spread it out and lay whatever being used for the walls on top of the edge, done. No leveling or digging either.
My Russian would be able to climb the cinder blocks/brick. May be not get out, but could flip.
Then again, my Russian climbed a tree, so, yeah, it's a mischievous one.

NYGiants-1925

Catskills NY

I like that enclosure. My will climb, but are not much for digging so far. But my biggest concern is something digging into it. Between the skunks, raccoons, fox, and groundhogs, something will certainly dig in. And they may not hurt them but give them a hole to get out of. I am also going to cover the enclosure with something too. Maybe chain link fencing as well if I go that route since the smallest roll they have is 50 feet.

NYGiants-1925

Catskills NY
That's an idea that would work. Much more labor behind it and more that can scratch and damage the shell
With fencing, drop it down, spread it out and lay whatever being used for the walls on top of the edge, done. No leveling or digging either.
My Russian would be able to climb the cinder blocks/brick. May be not get out, but could flip.
Then again, my Russian climbed a tree, so, yeah, it's a mischievous one.
They are excellent climbers, that's for sure.