Can you attach a tarp to a chain link fence for an enclosure wall?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
Might be a stupid question, but instead of building a pen, could you securely attach a tarp or something similar to an existing chain link fence so that they wouldn’t be able to see out? This would be for a Sulcata.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
You mean to slow it down cause nothing will stop a tort from taste testing it . And thank you for fixing my miss spell that was missed by spell check !

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No. Not secure enough and it won't last or hold up. Its very easy to get plywood cut in to three four 16" tall, 8 foot strips and line the bottom of the fence with it. I put 2x4s on the back side and screw through the plywood and fence, into the 2x4. Cheap, easy and secure. Lasts a long time too.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Tarp will work. Just put it on the back side if you think he will eat at it. It's probably the cheapest way. If it gets a lot of sun it will get sun rot though in about 2-3 years.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
My only concern is that we might be moving soon. Big emphasis on might, because it might not happen at all. Securing plywood to the fence might be hard to get back off and transport, while a tarp could just be taken off and folded. Would a thick, opaque tarp covering a sturdy fence really not hold up? What makes it different from plywood if it’s mainly just there to block their view?

Not trying to argue, just wondering ;)

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
Sulcatas like to dig at there fence a little from time to time and if the tarp is on there side they would shred it and if it's on the other side they will rub themselfs on the wire if nothing else. Were as even thin ply wood will hold up to there rubbing on it
Just my thoughts I've never tried a tarp

Last edited:

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Sulcatas like to dig at there fence a little from time to time and if the tarp is on there side they would shred it and if it's on the other side they will rub themselfs on the wire if nothing else. Were as even thin ply wood will hold up to there rubbing on it
Just my thoughts I've never tried a tarp
I have a heavy duty tarp lining the walls of Vlad's indoor enclosure, and after less than a year there are wear marks just from his carapace brushing against it as he patrols the perimeter.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I have a heavy duty tarp lining the walls of Vlad's indoor enclosure, and after less than a year there are wear marks just from his carapace brushing against it as he patrols the perimeter.

How did it hold up? Did it rip at all, and did it ever unattach from the wall?

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
How did it hold up? Did it rip at all, and did it ever unattach from the wall?
He started digging in one corner and it's frayed. It hasn't torn yet, but I wouldn't consider it waterproof anymore. I have it screwed into the wall with washers at the grommets, so it's fairly secure, but the material of the tarp is no match for a tortoise walking the perimeter every day.

Here's a pic I have showing the area, it's not easy to see though

upload_2018-12-19_8-42-12.png

Here's a closer shot of some of the wear when he tries to climb:

upload_2018-12-19_8-42-54.png

And that line that runs parralel to the ground is where the edge of his carapace meets the tarp when he walks the perimiter
upload_2018-12-19_8-43-24.png

Not the easiest to see.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
He started digging in one corner and it's frayed. It hasn't torn yet, but I wouldn't consider it waterproof anymore. I have it screwed into the wall with washers at the grommets, so it's fairly secure, but the material of the tarp is no match for a tortoise walking the perimeter every day.

Here's a pic I have showing the area, it's not easy to see though

View attachment 259922

Here's a closer shot of some of the wear when he tries to climb:

View attachment 259923

And that line that runs parralel to the ground is where the edge of his carapace meets the tarp when he walks the perimiter
View attachment 259924

Not the easiest to see.

Alright, thanks! Very cool enclosure, by the way.

I think I’m going to use a heavy duty(6 millimeter thick or thicker) tarp temporarily until we are completely certain that we are or are not(which I hope is the case)moving, or until it becomes apparent that a tarp will not work. Curtis is still relatively small right now (8 inches), so I don’t think I’ll have a problem with him ruining it yet.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Alright, thanks! Very cool enclosure, by the way.

I think I’m going to use a heavy duty(6 millimeter thick or thicker) tarp temporarily until we are completely certain that we are or are not(which I hope is the case)moving, or until it becomes apparent that a tarp will not work. Curtis is still relatively small right now (8 inches), so I don’t think I’ll have a problem with him ruining it yet.

That will probably work. Mine is 16 mil: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072592N11/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think it would be ok if you attach it to the outside of the fence.