PVC and Tarp set up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vegasarah

5 Year Member
So I was browsing the interwebs today and I found this:

http://www.instructables.com/id/30-...-and-a-tarp/step5/Add-the-tarp-and-the-water/

It's a step-by-step tutorial on how to build this PVC-framed kiddie pool. Of course, my first thought was "Ooooo! Wonder if that would make a good tort enclosure." then again I think that about a lot of stuff. I have a sickness, don't judge me lol.

Upon further review, I realize that probably the biggest problem would be that torts are strong and could possibly knock down the walls/ punch a whole in the plastic, right? Even if I were to use really strong tarp? I just saw this as a good solution to not having to build a totally permanent indoor structure for the winters. I might be taking on a slightly bigger sulcata till April for a rescue as a foster while they get an outdoor thing set up for him at their place.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Improvements?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Great temporary set up...I would imagine this would be great for summer sunning, lets say while their tank/stock tank is cleaned and such....I think I would use AAAALLLLOOOOOTTT of zip ties and would perhaps even pull the tarp over the top of frame kinda tight and then secure it down with bricks and this would also make a slippery edge all the way around the immediate edges to perhaps thwart any escape????? Just what came to mind..:D

Vegasarah

5 Year Member
I just liked the fact that you could break it down after the cold months are over. It gets cold here but not for that long, so I really only need an outdoor set up for a few months out of the year. I was thinking I could just take all the substrate out, pull apart the joints from the PVC and fold up the tarp when it gets warm! It's lightweight and probably really easy to clean. I think if the walls were a little higher and maybe a few more 'legs' for support it could be perfect for me. I might actually give this a shot. I will be sure to take pictures while I work so that maybe someone else can use it as a temporary enclosure too!

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
Why not just use a plastic kiddie pool from Lowes for $8? In fact, now I'm confused why the article refers to it as a quick alternative to a kiddie pool when a kiddie pool couldn't be cheaper or quicker. You'd probably spend more on a tarp. Then you can throw it away every year and not have to store it :)

What you need to do is get in good with those folks down the road at Tortoise Supply and use some of their available space ;)

Vegasarah

5 Year Member
I agree with the cheap thing, that's just weird. This is like triple the price of those $8 ones at lowes. And I use a kiddie pool for an outdoor enclosure! But my thought was that it could be more easily fit into say, the bay window area of a kitchen? It's like a weird shape, but if I could cut the pipes/ fixtures to the same angles as the bay window you could use a lot more of your space. It wouldn't be putting a circular peg in a square hole, you know what I mean? I think I should just take pictures of what I mean lol.

And yeah, those Tortoise Supply people seem really cool! I wish they would talk to me or somethin'! :)

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
That makes sense if you're trying to fit it into a given space....

And yeah, those Tortoise Supply people seem really cool! I wish they would talk to me or somethin'!

They're a little bit standoffish. You've gotta find them at Rosati's Pizza on North Durango where they eat about once a week and corner 'em!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Buy those Stewart people a couple beers and stuff them with that pizza and you might be able to talk them into most anything. Okay, might need more then a couple beers.:D
I think the idea is a good one. But, the 8.00 kiddie pool is deff quicker and cheaper.

Vegasarah

5 Year Member
I agree, I just have this super odd space to set up in. I'll try and get pictures up ASAP. Anyone know what kind of tarp I should use?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
And along with fitting them in to odd shaped areas, I guess you could make that even bigger than a kiddie pool if needed.

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
Vegasarah said:
I agree, I just have this super odd space to set up in. I'll try and get pictures up ASAP. Anyone know what kind of tarp I should use?

I doubt the type of tarp really matters, but they're cheap at Costco. I bought a few at Lowes for various things, cringing at the price on them (seems like it was $29 and I thought it should have been about $10) and then a month later saw them at Costco for about 1/3 the price I had paid at Lowes. I have yet to feel like I paid too much for anything at Costco.

Have you priced up the cost of making a simple wood cage? I've used 3/4" plywood for the base and ran a simple 2x6 or 2x8 around it for a perimeter wall in similar situations where I needed a short term temporary cage in an odd space. The plywood I am able to get free, and a 2x6 or 2x8 is like $10. Not big on power tools?

wellington said:
Buy those Stewart people a couple beers and stuff them with that pizza and you might be able to talk them into most anything. Okay, might need more then a couple beers.:D

Fortunately for my self-control, we are not drinkers :) Sarah is going to have to buy the pizza at least once a week for a month and keep the noise levels down with my kids.

Vegasarah

5 Year Member
Tyler- I plan on pumping your kids full of pizza and sugar and setting them loose on society hahaha.

I don't have many power tools and I liked the PVC for the fact that it's so light weight. I do have the know-how on how to build one with plywood and 2x8, but having to move it or get rid of it would be a real pain. With PVC, just empty the substrate, pull apart the connectors, and fold up the tarp and store it all in a box til next winter! I like it, and I don't know of anyone at least on here that has tried a set up like this. Who knows, it could be the new big thing. Or rescues could use the plans when they have to take on more torts than they bargained for :)

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I like pvc for the same reasons. And it doesn't rust.

For the tarp; I don't know about there but around here there'll occasionally be someone selling used tarps roadside for $10. I don't know the exact dimensions but they're huge and durable.

Vegasarah

5 Year Member
I'll have to keep an eye out, I'm looking for big and tough for sure. Don't need a tort punching through the tarp lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.