Changing before our eyes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ticothetort2

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
So we've had Tico for a week and a half and my wife and I can't believe how quickly his shell is changing. It seems that every time he makes an appearance from his humid hide he is showing a little more marbling. Also in the time we have had him he has gained over 10 grams! No complaints here about a finicky eater. Figured I would share a couple pics of the day we got him (5-Nov-10) and his last pictures taken (12-Nov-10).

I think this was taken day one (could be day two)
tico057p1.jpg

And from last Friday.
tico12NOV10048e.jpg

Our little dude is growing so fast...

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
Wow, he really is growing before your eyes. What a good looking little tort :)

HarleyK

5 Year Member
You should take the picture with sort sort of size reference. We have no idea how big it is without comparing it to anything.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
HarleyK said:
You should take the picture with sort sort of size reference. We have no idea how big it is without comparing it to anything.

If you look at the first pic he's in front of a temp gauge which is 2-3" that should put him at be 2 1/2 - 3 " :)

Kenny

5 Year Member
Tempe, Az
I'm really enjoying watching Tico grow up. He's a beautiful tort, and your pics are outstanding !

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I LOVE watching leopards grow! They get those white lines and you can watch them stretch and stretch into different patterns. It's really exciting, please keep posting.

ticothetort2

5 Year Member
SoCal
I will take some size reference photo's on Friday when I do his next weigh in and post a few. When we got him on the 5th he was just at 2 1/4", I am going to be measuring his SCL on the first Friday of every month, so we will see in another couple of weeks how much his length has increased vs. weight gain. Thanks for all the comments!!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I can't believe that he's the same tort. All that in only 7 days?? He is absolutely gorgeous.....and you take some great pictures.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Wow what a perfect little tortoise!! He looks like a statue in the second picture. You take incredible pictures!
How fun to be able to watch him change so quickly!

ticothetort2

5 Year Member
SoCal
terryo said:
I can't believe that he's the same tort. All that in only 7 days?? He is absolutely gorgeous.....and you take some great pictures.

That's what we were saying!! 7 days and so much change!! I figured I would do a weekly "Then/Now" of Tico so others can see just how fast and how much they change from week to week. I was interested in seeing that when I first started looking into getting a tort but could never really find a lot of pics of the same torts growth. Thanks again for all the compliments, I will pass the word onto my wife since she is the eye behind the lens!

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
what beautiful pictures! I love the pattern on babies. Keep taking pictures, and I'll keep admiring them.

teri

ticothetort2

5 Year Member
SoCal
sharkstar said:
what beautiful pictures! I love the pattern on babies. Keep taking pictures, and I'll keep admiring them.

teri
Thanks Teri! Don't worry there will be plenty more pics to come...

Here's a size reference pic for Harley.
032.jpg

038.jpg

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
wow he is marbling fast I just looked at your first pic's an your last the white band on his right side is growing quick what are you feeding him he looks great :cool:

ticothetort2

5 Year Member
SoCal
coreyc said:
wow he is marbling fast I just looked at your first pic's an your last the white band on his right side is growing quick what are you feeding him he looks great :cool:
Thanks!

He is getting Mazuri (2 pellets) 3 days a week (M,W,F), Grassland (2 pellets) 2 days a week (T,T), Greens every day. It's a mix from 'Organics' called 'Fresh Herb Salad' and it contains Red/Green Romaine, Red/green Oak Leaf, Red Leaf, Lollo Rosa, Tango, Red/Green Chard, Mizuna, Arugula, Mache, Frisee, Radicchio, Parsley, Dill, and Cilantro. It's been by far the best looking pre-packaged greens I've found. I also throw in some Kale, Mustard Green, Pumpkin, Timothy Hay, Rye Grass, Upland Cress, Dandelion, Clover, Hibiscus, Opuntia, and whatever good weeds I find around the neighborhood.

Granted he doesn't get to eat every green every day, he gets a pretty good variety throughout the week. I haven't found one thing yet that he won't chomp down on.

Here's another good pic to compare to, this was minutes after we unpacked him on 5-Nov-10.
tico12NOV10260.jpg

Last Friday.
036-1.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Very nice! Looks like a growth spurt to me. His shell looks even better than before you got him. You guys are doing a fantastic job.

ticothetort2

5 Year Member
SoCal
Tom said:
Very nice! Looks like a growth spurt to me. His shell looks even better than before you got him. You guys are doing a fantastic job.
Thanks Tom, we are just lucky he had such a good start! If he keeps this growth spurt up I am going to have to move him to his table sooner than expected. The wife and I couldn't be happier with our choice!

Status
Not open for further replies.