CHE

Status
Not open for further replies.

franeich

5 Year Member
I am currently using red bulbs to heat my outdoor enclosure. THe problem I have is they keep burning out. I have to replace them every few months. I am thinking of trying a CHE hoping it will last longer. I just wanted to find out how long CHE's are lasting for you guys. Has anyone tried one outside.

CHE= ceramic heat emitter

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
I just had the red heat bulb in my outdoor enclosure burn out a few days ago. I had it for over a year, but it was only turned on when needed. until December when it was on all the time. I guess sometimes the bulbs will last longer than expected and sometimes they don't. I still have to replace it, worked very well..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I bought my first CHE in 1991. It is a Pearlco. It has been over dozens of different reptiles and is currently in my Blackthroated Monitors outdoor night box keeping him warm right now. Over the years I have accumulated around 10 of them and not a single one has ever stopped working for me. They ALL still work, decades later. I think if you dropped it on a hard surface or splashed cold water on it while it was hot, you MIGHT be able to kill one, but they just seem to last forever. I like them much better than the colored bulbs, but that's just my preference. They also give you about 20% more heat for the same wattage, so adjust things accordingly.

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I agree with Tom. They are very "hardy" bulbs that will literally last forever. Only time I ever had one go out was when the bulb part separated from the screw connector. It just crumbled when I was taking it out to move into another dome.

I bought my first one in 1999 and it still works. I have it currently hovering over the tortoise enclosures and kicks on at night to keep my room a little warmer when the Megarays go out at night.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
SnakeyeZ said:
I agree with Tom. They are very "hardy" bulbs that will literally last forever. Only time I ever had one go out was when the bulb part separated from the screw connector. It just crumbled when I was taking it out to move into another dome.

I bought my first one in 1999 and it still works. I have it currently hovering over the tortoise enclosures and kicks on at night to keep my room a little warmer when the Megarays go out at night.

That just happen to me last week good thing I had a spare;)

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
coreyc said:
SnakeyeZ said:

That just happen to me last week good thing I had a spare;)

Someone feels my pain! lol

I hate when I break things long before they should break down on there own. It's kinda like when your milk sours with two weeks left on the expiry!

franeich

5 Year Member
Looks like CHE it is. I currently use a 100 watt red spot so should I get a 75 watt CHE

zzzdanz

5 Year Member
Boston
I bought a few CHE's from Reptmart back around Christmas when they had a special.2 of them didn't work right out of the box..the threaded part was just sitting on it and wasn't connected.
I just opened those 2 last week so I'm sure a refund is out of the question, but it's a good heads up to anyone who buys a few extra to check them when they arrive.

I bought a few CHE's from Reptmart back around Christmas when they had a special.2 of them didn't work right out of the box..the threaded part was just sitting on it and wasn't connected.
I just opened those 2 last week so I'm sure a refund is out of the question, but it's a good heads up to anyone who buys a few extra to check them when they arrive.

no clue why that posted twice

no clue why that posted twice

HarleyK

5 Year Member
franeich said:
I am currently using red bulbs to heat my outdoor enclosure. THe problem I have is they keep burning out. I have to replace them every few months. I am thinking of trying a CHE hoping it will last longer. I just wanted to find out how long CHE's are lasting for you guys. Has anyone tried one outside.

CHE= ceramic heat emitter

I have purchased one 100 watt CHE by Zoomed and it has lasted me close to a year now. It is on 24/7/7. Make sure it is in a right lamp (ceramic).

franeich

5 Year Member
SO if I have been using a 100 watt red spot bulb should I go with a 100 watt CHE?

Status
Not open for further replies.