Cheapest way to feed adult sulcata?

Nellie Rose

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Hi!
Just curious to hear everyone's tips and advice. I know feeding a sulcata is never going to be "cheap" since they are cows with shells. But I was just curious what tips and tricks those with more experience have discovered.

Also, are banana trees safe for sulcatas? I'm building a tortoise yard and thought some bananas would provide some nice shade.
Again, just curious! I grow my own weeds right now but won't be able to keep up with the demand once my little one gets bigger.

Nellie Rose

Maryland
What's the age and size of your tortoise? Can we see pictures?
Sure!
Unsure of her age but I theorize around 1.5 to 2 years. I will have had her one year in November. She's maybe 5 inches long now. I adopted her from MATTS, a local turtle rescue in Baltimore.
She is quite a ways away from becoming an expensive tortoise, and a ways away from moving outside, still needs to grow quite a bit, but I'm getting her future home set up now while I have time and funds available.

Here are some pictures.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240903_160311_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240903_160311_Photos.jpg
    442.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20240903_160319_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240903_160319_Photos.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20240903_160324_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240903_160324_Photos.jpg
    359.4 KB · Views: 1

Megatron's Mom

North Little Rock, Arkansas

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Thanks for the information and pictures. Someone who knows more than I do will be along soon to help you with a few good husbandry tips. @Tom

Nellie Rose

Maryland
Having lots of outside food growing. Weeds, hibiscus, mallow, grape leaves, opuntia. When they are much much bigger they will eat orchard grass hay. You can get that at farm stores.

She is pretty small for almost 2. I would take at look at the link below to make sure you are up to date on her care. The Internet is full of outdated information. https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-best-way-to-raise-a-sulcata-leopard-or-star-tortoise.181497/
Ok, and what about during the winter? I know grocery store foods aren't a good substitute. I also kill all things green, I have a small weed garden for her but can't imagine growing enough to feed a full grown sulcata.
I already suppliment her diet with hay, which she eats readily, and mazuri tortoise food.

Yeah I don't really know how old she is. Those pictures are also close to a year old, taken in December, I just didn't have any new ones, so she is a little bigger now. Maybe she was younger than the rescue said?

Thanks for the information and pictures. Someone who knows more than I do will be along soon to help you with a few good husbandry tips. @Tom
Thank you, I've spoken with Tom a lot on here about her, he's been so helpful and patient as I've been learning. I've had my hermanns tortoise Johann Hermann for 11 years but am totally new to African species. It's been a lot of fun learning though! She is a very personable tortoise.

Nellie Rose

Maryland
She is pretty small for almost 2. I would take at look at the link below to make sure you are up to date on her care. The Internet is full of outdated information. https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-best-way-to-raise-a-sulcata-leopard-or-star-tortoise.181497/
also the foster she was at wasn't providing the best care. She was in an open Rubbermaid bin and being fed grocery store greens mostly so maybe her growth got stunted a bit? Idk I admit I haven't really thought about her size and assumed she was just slow growing. I'll get a weight on her later, maybe that'll help figure out how old she is.

Megatron's Mom

also the foster she was at wasn't providing the best care. She was in an open Rubbermaid bin and being fed grocery store greens mostly so maybe her growth got stunted a bit? Idk I admit I haven't really thought about her size and assumed she was just slow growing. I'll get a weight on her later, maybe that'll help figure out how old she is.
I don't think we can ever truly know how old they are unless we hatch them ourselves or a good breeder. I know you can sort of get a good guess if they still have an egg tooth. It's ok if she's small, now that you have her you can get her all the right care. She's a pretty tortie and will give you lots of years to enjoy her.

Nellie Rose

Maryland
I don't think we can ever truly know how old they are unless we hatch them ourselves or a good breeder. I know you can sort of get a good guess if they still have an egg tooth. It's ok if she's small, now that you have her you can get her all the right care. She's a pretty tortie and will give you lots of years to enjoy her.
She is amazing, I love her. She comes out to see me in the morning and everything, runs right up to the glass to say hi. I can't wait until she gets bigger and I can move her into her new home. I think she's going to love it.

I thought about buying from a breeder but there are so many in shelters, so I went with adoption. I wish I knew more about where she came from though, there wasn't a lot of information offered.

Megatron's Mom

Ok, and what about during the winter? I know grocery store foods aren't a good substitute. I also kill all things green, I have a small weed garden for her but can't imagine growing enough to feed a full grown sulcata.
I already suppliment her diet with hay, which she eats readily, and mazuri tortoise food.

Yeah I don't really know how old she is. Those pictures are also close to a year old, taken in December, I just didn't have any new ones, so she is a little bigger now. Maybe she was younger than the rescue said?

Thank you, I've spoken with Tom a lot on here about her, he's been so helpful and patient as I've been learning. I've had my hermanns tortoise Johann Hermann for 11 years but am totally new to African species. It's been a lot of fun learning though! She is a very personable tortoise.
For winter, some ppl add toppers from https://www.tortoisesupply.com/TortoiseFood. I've started drying hibiscus flowers. I'm lucky and here weeds grow well in our winter. Some grocery stores sell dandelions, Fresh Market here does. Also endive, arugula, radicchio and cilantro and a good grocery store food. Just keep trying to find good weeds and the best grocery store foods you can find.

Nellie Rose

Maryland
For winter, some ppl add toppers from https://www.tortoisesupply.com/TortoiseFood. I've started drying and hibiscus flowers. I'm lucky and here weeds grow well in our winter. Some grocery stores sell dandelions, Fresh Market her does. Also endive, arugula, radicchio and cilantro and a good grocery store food. Just keep trying to find good weeds and the best grocery store foods you can find.
Gotcha. I'll take a look at the tortoise supply. I buy dried hibiscus for my tortoises, they love it, and I'm trying to grow spineless cactus for them but not having much luck.
Unfortunately in Maryland we can have some pretty extreme winters. I'll do some research though and try to find some cold tolerant weeds and flowers. I have a mini greenhouse so maybe they'll grow in there.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

During winter, hay, grocery greens like arugula, escarole, endive, riddichio, just to name a few but then you can order some of the dried toppers from either tortoise supply.com or @Kapidolo Farms. The second one has much more variety and you add that to the grocery greens to make them better. Also mazuri tortoise food pellets, horse grass hay pellets, chicken layer feed.