Say hi to Gunther!

Status
Not open for further replies.

photo_phish

5 Year Member
Just saying hi to the forum! First post and first day with my new little man Gunther! He's 3yrs old with a ton of Tude! If anyone has any tips or little known sulcata secrets, that are out of your typical tort care, and you would like to share... Lemme know!! Anything a growing rambunctious tort might love!

And a question, are adult sulcatas very tactile? like enjoy a could neck scratch or anything? Working with sea turtles, they are very tactile with their shells and love to be scratched where new scutes are coming in, and I've interacted with giant torts who loved their necks scratched. Just curious!
ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1374278813.366426.jpg
Thanks guys!
ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1374278867.347001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I would get that pellet stuff out of your enclosure. I use coco choir and cypress mulch . Does he have water to soak in ? Read Toms theses in the sulcata section .

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

mainey34

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
He is a cutie...the pellets cause mold..if you go to the tortoiselibrary.com you will find useful information. Did you sulcatas grow to 150lbs. And dig burrows?

Wewt

5 Year Member
British Columbia, Canada
Welcome to you and your new baby!

As far as sulcatas being tactile, mine hasn't responded positively to scratching, but a good head and neck rub is always appreciated. Enjoy your new family member!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). He is very nice looking. The pellets are bad. He should have a nice warm soak for 20-30 minutes 1 or 2 times a week. Toms threads are below in my post. They are mainly for hatchlings upto approx 8 inches. Adjust according to the size of yours.

photo_phish

5 Year Member
Yea this was the substrate he was in from his previous home who raised him from a few days old, so I took on her last bag as well. I have diff plans for the future of his substrate, thank you for the multiple warnings. and he got a good soak yesterday before switching homes, pooped and as soon as he made it here started munchin away! This isn't my first turtle/tortoise... Just my first post and first sully. I did my research, just making transitions smoothly. and I am aware they get big, I live on an acre so plenty of room to make him a good home! (I can understand all of the concern though knowing the sulcata rescue/re-home rates. Too many ignorant ppl buying animals for their 5yr olds that don't want to take care of them and ext)

but Just wanted to see your guy's sully preferences in the line of the occasional treat or what kinds of grasses and dark leafy greens they like more over others to get a good variety going since there is a lot to chose from for Gunther :)

thanks for all the advice and ill hop over to Toms page! Seen his name all over :)

MoireErin

5 Year Member
Knobs of KY
Hello Gunther!!

He is just precious! I love his face in the pic! (looks like he would love paparazzi) LOL

:cool: :tort: :D

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Hello Gunther and welcome to the forum. You'll find lots of information, experience, discussion, and a few laughs here. As for sulcatas being tactile I would have to say that mine does enjoy a rub or a scratch from time to time (head, neck, and even his shell). He is three plus years old. He lives outdoors 24/7. He regularly makes eye contact with me when I am in the yard. He will investigate what I am doing anytime I am out in the yard. And will come out of his hiding spot to greet me.

I have planted the yard to supply him with a variety of food. Yet, the are still some items I will buy at the store for him. I am not a good gardener but find that it is easy to grow grass and weeds for him. I can also grow opuntia cactii, hibiscus, and some grapes (easy in California). Several neighbors have Mulberry trees, so I have that covered as well. At times mulberry leaves are his favorite food. He also loves to eat collard greens, which I can not grow, but are one of the cheaper greens I can buy at the grocery store.

I think that to have a healthy sulcata it is necessary for them to have pleanty of exercise and a much varied diet. My sulcata will pace the perimeter of the yard for hours each day. I have planted my yard, at least portions of it, with seeds mixes (grass, clovers, dandelion and chicory, and plantain) from Carolina Pet Supply, Tortoise Suppy, and Peaceful Valley Farms to get as much variety of plant life that I can. He does graze some during the day, but late in the evening I will cut a salad from the yard, mix in some items that I get from the store or that my neighbors give me and feed him. A typical meal, and it is not always the same foods (except for grass) will have 5 types of grass, clovers, medics, turnip, collards, radicchio, plus grass hay. Some nights I will add in a cup of Mazzuri Tortoise chow or some flowers from my yard. Here is what that looks like.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Joe spelled out the food thing in a most excellent way above!

As far as tactile stuff, some of them dig it, some don't care, and some like it. Usually they tend to get more into it, or at least more tolerant of it, as they grow and get bigger. Sometimes hand feeding while petting while give them a positive association with being touched by people.

Oh and feed the grape leaves, not so much the grapes themselves. Fruit should generally be avoided. And just about any type of grass is an excellent food source for sulcatas. Bermuda, fescue, St. Augustine, etc...

photo_phish

5 Year Member
@diz and @tom thank you for all of the awesome ideas!! That was exactly what I was looking for!!

@moire he does have a super cute face, huh!? He has he most curious eyes :)

photo_phish

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1374871809.467833.jpg okay so I have, what I believe, is a fruitless Mulberry? are these as safe at the fruit bearing or maybe I'm completely off?

ladyjean22

5 Year Member
Hello Gunther!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using TortForum mobile app

photo_phish

5 Year Member
Dizisdalife said:
Hello Gunther and welcome to the forum. You'll find lots of information, experience, discussion, and a few laughs here. As for sulcatas being tactile I would have to say that mine does enjoy a rub or a scratch from time to time (head, neck, and even his shell). He is three plus years old. He lives outdoors 24/7. He regularly makes eye contact with me when I am in the yard. He will investigate what I am doing anytime I am out in the yard. And will come out of his hiding spot to greet me.

I have planted the yard to supply him with a variety of food. Yet, the are still some items I will buy at the store for him. I am not a good gardener but find that it is easy to grow grass and weeds for him. I can also grow opuntia cactii, hibiscus, and some grapes (easy in California). Several neighbors have Mulberry trees, so I have that covered as well. At times mulberry leaves are his favorite food. He also loves to eat collard greens, which I can not grow, but are one of the cheaper greens I can buy at the grocery store.

I think that to have a healthy sulcata it is necessary for them to have pleanty of exercise and a much varied diet. My sulcata will pace the perimeter of the yard for hours each day. I have planted my yard, at least portions of it, with seeds mixes (grass, clovers, dandelion and chicory, and plantain) from Carolina Pet Supply, Tortoise Suppy, and Peaceful Valley Farms to get as much variety of plant life that I can. He does graze some during the day, but late in the evening I will cut a salad from the yard, mix in some items that I get from the store or that my neighbors give me and feed him. A typical meal, and it is not always the same foods (except for grass) will have 5 types of grass, clovers, medics, turnip, collards, radicchio, plus grass hay. Some nights I will add in a cup of Mazzuri Tortoise chow or some flowers from my yard. Here is what that looks like.

I tried radicchio with Gunther today and he loved it!! so far he's a good
Little muncher!

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
photo_phish said:
okay so I have, what I believe, is a fruitless Mulberry? are these as safe at the fruit bearing or maybe I'm completely off?
All I have growing in the neighborhood is the fruitless mulberry. Chuck eats a bunch of them.

photo_phish said:
I tried radicchio with Gunther today and he loved it!! so far he's a good
Little muncher!
Great!! I used to wrap opuntia cactus with radicchio to get Chuck to try it. Now the opuntia is one of his favorite foods.

photo_phish

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1379699495.344104.jpg Gunther trying a little piece of home grown apple! Little treat

Status
Not open for further replies.