Gunther is laying eggs

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego CA
So in the midst of trying to find Girly Gunther (our RES) a new home, she has been laying eggs.

First one was underwater on 4/17. Second one was on her basking rock on 4/19. Today she laid another one underwater. They have been fairly large (though I've never seen a turtle egg in person before, so they may be just perfect size).

She doesn't have any dirt in her tank, only the large basking rock and plenty of water to swim in (80 gal tank filled 3/4 of the way full).

We rescued her in 2007/2008 or thereabouts. She's never laid eggs before.

What do I need to be doing, if anything? I've just been scooping them out and throwing them in the garden.

Here is a pic of the one on 4/19. They have all been about this size.

41911-1.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My sister has a RES living in a large tub with a sunning dock and no dirt also. Whenever Maggie notices that Scruffy is particularly restless she takes her outside and puts her in the box turtle enclosure. Scruffy usually digs a hole and deposits eggs in it. This turtle was rescued as a dog bitten little maybe yearling and has never been with a male. She's not consistent with eggs, but has done this several times in her life.

Is there a safe place where you can put her outside for a few hours to get rid of her "supply?"

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
San Diego CA
Thanks. I have noticed a few days before she lays them she is really restless...on/off her basking rock, not seeming comfortable, etc.

I do have an outdoor pen I can put her in.

Thanks for the advice.

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
most reptiles (birds included) will lay eggs without having ever mated (they would in most but not all cases be infertile) they do it to get rid of the eggs that are fully developed but are past the point of being fertilized (like the period in mammals)

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
San Diego CA
When I put her outside, how will I know when she is finished? She's never laid eggs the entire time we've had her. We started putting her outside a few months ago for a few hours a day and that's when we noticed her digging. Then she started laying eggs last month. How old are they when they start laying eggs, or is there even an age range when they do that? I'm still trying to guesstimate how old she is. She laid another one last night, so I'm a bit concerned on how many she will lay, when the egg laying is "finished" for now, how often it will happen, etc. I know their not fertile, but just want to make it better for her. Something I will also need to tell the new owner (if we can find her a home).

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
She may not dig a hole and deposit the rest of her eggs, since she's started dribbling them out one at a time. I guess the only way you'd know if she were finished is if you saw her dig the hole and cover it up.

They don't necessarily lay eggs every year when there's no male around. I have three female RES in my pond and none of them ever come out to dig nests. And Maggie's Scruffy only does this occasionally, not every year.

The egg laying thing goes by size rather than age. When they get to be pretty much full grown, they are sexually mature. And they can lay eggs all their life.

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
San Diego CA
Thanks. I put her outside today in a bin with dirt and a wading area for her. The instant I put her in she started digging. But no eggs. I left her outside for about 4-5 hours. I guess we will see if she's finished.

I had always wondered if she would start egg laying, but didn't worry about it since she never had. And now this. Is this also a sign that she is healthy?

Status
Not open for further replies.