Cherry head hatchling

Torkoal#1

Location (City and/or State)
Dadeville
So I received a cherry head tortoise on March 8th and he still had skin on his belly healing from the egg sack but was completely healed after a week with me. I keep him in a plastic tote that is see threw and wrapped in a mylar emergency blanket to hold heat and then a long rectangle cut for the uvb light I got its 4ft and to long to put inside the tote on the lid in on but I cut a big circle hole for the ceramic heater to be level with the lid but I use a fog machine with well water thats filtered, anyways the fogger was dirty today I noticed amd it's because I'm not using distilled water. But I keep being told they need a enclosed enclosure to hold humidity. But if I had the lid in tact and a small hole on the side of the tote for wires for the light and ceramic heating bulb then 2 clay pot dishes as little pools of water and coco coir with orchid bark on top as a substrate what causes the humidity? I'm slowly saving up for the pvc I need 305 I got 208. One more week and I'll have it. But he is so small March 10th he was 36 grams. Then every week on Thursdays I weigh him and he went 36, 40, 40.74, 42.55 and this today will be his 4th weigh in. I hope these are normal growth and not too slow or too fast. Any one willing to sell me a already build or at least disassembled 2×2×4 enclosed habitat for my hachling cherry head tortoise torkoal? I'm in Missouri if your close I'll drive.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
But if I had the lid in tact and a small hole on the side of the tote for wires for the light and ceramic heating bulb then 2 clay pot dishes as little pools of water and coco coir with orchid bark on top as a substrate what causes the humidity?
Evaporation. Contained evaporation. The bark will be damp underneath, and the water bowls also evaporate.

Imagine trying to heat your house in winter with no roof on it. The heater will run all night and the heat will just drift up into the night sky. Now put a roof on the house and shut the windows and doors. BOOM! You've got a warm house. It works the same way with an open topped enclosure compared to a closed chamber. The closed chamber is not air tight, but airflow is somewhat restricted to hold heat and humidity. Having the lights and heat inside the chamber eliminates the chimney effect that you get with a hot lamp above and outside your enclosure.

Torkoal#1

Dadeville
Evaporation. Contained evaporation. The bark will be damp underneath, and the water bowls also evaporate.

Imagine trying to heat your house in winter with no roof on it. The heater will run all night and the heat will just drift up into the night sky. Now put a roof on the house and shut the windows and doors. BOOM! You've got a warm house. It works the same way with an open topped enclosure compared to a closed chamber. The closed chamber is not air tight, but airflow is somewhat restricted to hold heat and humidity. Having the lights and heat inside the chamber eliminates the chimney effect that you get with a hot lamp above and outside your enclosure.
I know all that but I have to work with what I got for now it holds and doesn't use alot of fog

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I know all that but I have to work with what I got for now it holds and doesn't use alot of fog
I was just answering your quoted question. Did I misunderstand the question?

Torkoal#1

Dadeville
I was just answering your quoted question. Did I misunderstand the question?
No I just thought there would be more to it. Lol thank you. Well that's awsome I'll get his enclosure built asap