Cherry head marbling

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Somewhere in Florida
Tucker has good genes. That sort of star pattern is classic of heavily marbled red footed tortoises.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
OMG, I am prepared to pay you one hundred million dollars (once I win Mega Million)! I know even then, you couldn't part with him. He is gorgeous! Keep up the good husbandry! Nice marbling and VERY red!

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Tucker has good genes. That sort of star pattern is classic of heavily marbled red footed tortoises.
Hey thanks, it's funny bcs at the beginning the other baby tort (RF) was so much prettier than him. She was just more colorful. Little Tucker was dark, very tiny, with ugly raw scar on his belly, face of "red devil" (I didn't quite understand the concept of a "cherryhead", and Shellie's head was pretty with perfect little features, Complete with "eyebrows" outline by the shape/order of scales). Plus, he- Tucker didn't want to eat for first several weeks, it took incredible amt of effort to get this little dude to eal, so I laugh now that all this fuss around him has made him "flourish in color":)

Last edited:

Pearly

5 Year Member
OMG, I am prepared to pay you one hundred million dollars (once I win Mega Million)! I know even then, you couldn't part with him. He is gorgeous! Keep up the good husbandry! Nice marbling and VERY red!
Well thank you! Coming from you it's more than just a compliment. Very much appreciated

Pearly

5 Year Member

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
It's what the tortoise or turtle uses to break out of the egg.
It's a little nodule type thing, might be a build up of calcium or something, that they use.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
What a cutie! He resembles my Tucker. Does he still have his egg tooth? Or ... is it even possible for them to keep those that long?

That does look like an egg tooth, but I think it must be a photo angle thing and is actually just the tip of the beak. I've not heard of a tortoise keeping an egg tooth for anywhere near that long. Would be interesting to see photos of the face from other angles!

threeheadedshadow

5 Year Member
Here are more face shots of him. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1464008924.315915.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1464008936.889901.jpg

Also here is a comparison pic of the marbling growth from just a couple months ago. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1464009023.433929.jpg