Cherry Head OR RedFoot???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryan

10 Year Member!
N2TORTS said:
WOW Carl ... did not know she was that big . I guess I have not seen a size reference picture of her in a long time . And I thought I had two jumbo cherries. Here is Queen Liz and Oscar' .. next to a 6.5 cherry for reference.... both adults are in the 12.4 - 14" range ...and BIG ... but not near 24 pounds. ... More like 16lb. That is one BIG A$$ CHERRY you have ... sorta beats the crap that was going around for so many years of them " being a dwarf species" or .. in your case .. it has to be a HYBRID.! (someone would post) ..
Cherries don’t get that big !!... remember those days? and Bryan .. I never knew you had credibility in the first place. This forum is full of " parrots" ....

I've got street cred ;) And some parrots go for big $ so thanks for the compliment! :p

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
The old 'dwarf cherry-head' myth has been pretty widely shown to be wrong. However, they hit sexual maturity at a smaller size.

Sorry, but the best way to to know if that is a cherry-head is seeing the plaston.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
A very good indicator indeed….but there are always those curve balls~:D

even though we know what this is ...but if just " one indicator such as the plastron " was used ...it would be a little tricky identifying this one ,

and Mark .. yes I know the myth has deminished ...but I remember not too many years back ... some pretty head butting debates ..:p

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
and yet another example of one of theose " curve balls" ....Compared to the phenotype plastron markings we usually see on Cherry Heads .. This one is much different.

And for the OP .. what Mark ( and he knows his stuff!) ….was referring to, is the typical Cherry Head will sport a marbled plastron . This starts to develop at an early age and expands as the tortoise grows.

Now compared to a “ Northern Redfoot” … with the typical golden/tan plastron and the dark “ hour glass” markers

JD~:shy:

Status
Not open for further replies.