RF n CH

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoise_lover

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
maybe somebody can help me with this case... the differences between redfoot n cherry head..
somebody say that cherry head have a red head n rather black plastron. and RF have yellow head n yellow plastron.. maybe someone can help me :D

thanks

blackcat38

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
north wales, UK
tortoise_lover said:
maybe somebody can help me with this case... the differences between redfoot n cherry head..
somebody say that cherry head have a red head n rather black plastron. and RF have yellow head n yellow plastron.. maybe someone can help me :D

thanks

if you read the sticky called The Different Races of Redfoot Tortoise,
Madkins007 explains the regional differeces in redfoots and i think he does it really well :) but basically i think a cherryhead is usually found in brazil, has a more intense red, darker shell and developes marbling on the shell as it grows. the yellow headed redfoot it found more north but both are still redfoots

tortoise_lover

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
blackcat38 said:
if you read the sticky called The Different Races of Redfoot Tortoise,
Madkins007 explains the regional differeces in redfoots and i think he does it really well :) but basically i think a cherryhead is usually found in brazil, has a more intense red, darker shell and developes marbling on the shell as it grows. the yellow headed redfoot it found more north but both are still redfoots

so it can be said that RF n CH are the same tortoises? just like indian star n srilankan star? no phisically differences between RF n CH except the colour of the head? what confusing me is somebody told me that some RF also have a red head.. :rolleyes:

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
The earlier-mentioned article does the complete jo, but a quickie version would be:

Red-foot Tortoises can have red, orange,or yellow coloration on the head and limbs- although some color combinations are more common in some areas than others.

A 'true' Cherry Head (and I don't particularly like that term) is either a sub-species or a color morph of Red-foot that comes from the south eastern region of Brazil where it is more mountainous, drier, etc. They have a darker plastron which often has a semi-symmetrical dark starburst pattern on each scute. Cherry-heads als have a tiny bit of a 'snout' on the end of their nose compared to the other Red-foots smoothly rounded noses.

The brilliant red colors on an otherwise mostly dark head is the biggest point, but 'cherry-heads' CAN be almost black or most orange and yellow colors as well.

There is also a 'yellow Brazilian' from the northern, more rainforested areas that also has the dark plastron, but it has the rounded snout and more typical Red-foot coloration.

Status
Not open for further replies.