Cherryheadt diet questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nerdling

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Edmonton
Hello everyone!

I'm a new owner of a loveable Cherryhead tortoise, and I still have some learning to do. I've read tons on online caresheets and bought a book on Redfoots, but there's still some things I can't quite figure out.

What different kinds of squash are good food choices? I know butternut squash is popular, but has anyone ever heard of sweet dumpling squash? I accidentally bought one tonight and don't know if it's safe to feed her.

Is kale a good food choice? I've read in some places that it's high in oxalate acid, but I've also seen it listed on MANY websites as a good staple food. The same goes for bok choy. I've been avoiding it, but I'd just like confirmation.

Exactly how much fruit can my Cherryhead have? I know they need a lot more fruit than other torts, and a bit more than Redfoots, but exactly how much? I've been giving 1 chunk of fruit (raspberry, blackberry, tomato, etc) every other day or so. Should I increase/decrease her fruit intake?

Is red leaf lettuce a good staple? I had thought it was kind of mediocre as far as nutrient content, but I see it listed everywhere as a good food for them.

I will have more questions later, but I'll save them for now. Thanks in advance!

Nerdling

5 Year Member
Edmonton
Hmmm. After some further research, I see that kale isn't horrible, but shouldn't be used regularly or a a staple. I'm still uncertain as to how much fruit she can have, and haven't been able to find anything about the sweet dumpling squash.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Lots of good information on this site:
http://tortoiselibrary.com/

Also, if you can swing it I would strongly encourage you to purchase this book:
http://www.pingleton.com/redfoot/redfoots.htm
I have a copy of this and it really spells things out in an interesting and logical manner, it's my "go-to" reference for simple questions on proper husbandry. I have other books about redfoots, but they don't even come close to the utility of this book for raising hatchling redfoots.

It's difficult to spell out an entire diet plan here, but I generally provide fruit once every week or two and animal protein (insects, pinky mouse, hard boiled egg, etc.) once or twice a month. Read through the tortoise library link above for some good ideas on feeding regimes and schedules. There's lots of conflicting information around and the truth is different things work for various people depending on the locality of redfoot they keep and their climate.

I'd bet the squash you have is probably fine to feed your tortoise.

Nerdling

5 Year Member
Edmonton
Thanks a lot for the info, and especially for the book suggestion! I've actually been wanting to ask around about a good book to get regarding their care. I bought a tiny manual, but I love having an encyclopedia on each species that I own :)

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Nerdling said:
Thanks a lot for the info, and especially for the book suggestion! I've actually been wanting to ask around about a good book to get regarding their care. I bought a tiny manual, but I love having an encyclopedia on each species that I own :)

Glad to have helped.

I should add, my diet routine adheres to what is spelled out in the Tortoise Library and Mike Pingleton's boook, both referenced above. Not writing out my entire diet plan provides you the opportunity to interpret the information provided by each source and come to your own conclusions for a proper diet.

Generally, I feed wild weeds for as long as I can incorporating fruit once per week or two, Mazuri/Zoo Med Forest Tort. Diet once per week or two, and animal protein once every 3-4 weeks. Once winter hits, it's grocery store greens. Calcium and/or Miner-All is lightly sprinkled on their food with an old salt shaker 4-5 days/week. This general schematic has worked for me, but read up and see what works for you and your tort. There are other good reference materials out there, but the two I provided are my favorites.

Have fun :D

Status
Not open for further replies.