Chevy's Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marty333

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Winter Springs, Florida A quaint little town near
Okay Im ready for the lecture! :p Im not to proud of his enclosure but he seems to love it!! Its a 10 gallon tank and haven't added any plants or anything because I haven't been able to go out because Im only 15 and can't drive yet :D so here are some pics!
008.JPG

009.JPG

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
He is going to need more room, but I think you already new that. I think it's great that you are 15 and have a life long friend. It is coming up on Christmas season so look for a plastic tree storage tote. They only sell them at this time of year and they are the biggest tote you can find. How is your humidity? It is very important that hatchlings have good humidity to grow smooth.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Marty, since you live in Florida and that is already a pretty humid state, what I would do if I were you is just make sure that you mist Checy directly on his shell until he drips 3-4 times minimum a day. Since you are home most all day, that should be really easy :) What I do is just keep a spray bottle right next to the enclosure, and spray every time I walk by.

You can also make him a humid hide, like in this thread http://tortoiseforum.org/Thread-How-To-Raise-Sulcata-Hatchlings-and-Babies?highlight=humid+hide

That way you don't have to worry so much about the overall humidity.

-ryan-

5 Year Member
good to hear there's another budding tortoise enthusiast. I use 10 gallon tanks with my russian hatchlings (which are much smaller), and really, rearing them a month or two they are ready to go. Fortunately I usually sell them within that time, but this is different because you are raising a life long pet.

As has been already said, finding a sizeable plastic tote can buy you more time. Eventually you will obviously need to build something large and tortoise proof (and don't underestimate the destructiveness of a 100 pound sulcata). Given your location, you can build something outdoors, and keep indoor quarters ready as well for when it's necessary. There are a ton of people on this forum that have raised sulcatas to full size, and these people will have more advice for you. It is a life long commitment.

Good luck!

LindaF

5 Year Member
What a cute little friend! I just got a Acurite combo humidity & temp gage at Lowes for under $10. You can find them in the garden section.

jagsrule100

10 Year Member!
Florida
Chevy looks like mine except bigger lol. I got my sulcata in a 2' X 4' enclosure and he loves it. He does laps around it lol.

jagsrule100

10 Year Member!
Florida
I would say he was born in August, the reptile store didn't say how old he was when i got him on October 9th.

Buster (thats his name :)) is only about 2 1/2 inches right now lol.

Marty333

10 Year Member!
Chevy's about the same length as Buster. He ways 46 grams now. When I got chevy at repticon last weekend they only knew he was 3 month old and not the exact date so I am guessing Chevy is an august baby and probably towards the end of the month.

jagsrule100

10 Year Member!
Florida
Oh thats cool, i dont know how much Buster weighs but i would imagine about the same as Chevy :). I see that you have 1 light for him, what kind is it?

Marty333

10 Year Member!
I think my dad got him this one but we only got ours for 15 dollars but this one is priced at 70 but it looks exactly the same.
pPETS-3760368dt.jpg

Its a UV bulb I have a ceramic bulb but its broken so I have to get a new one. My dad thinks he is fine with just the UV bulb but I would really like him to have a ceramic heat bulb also.

jagsrule100

10 Year Member!
Florida
Yeah i got 2 lights for Buster. One is a UVB and the other is a heat bulb. I also got a red light for night but i haven't used it yet since the temperature at night stays in the upper 70's. I will probably have to use it when winter comes though.

jagsrule100

10 Year Member!
Florida
I live in Florida too lol, west of tampa. And i would get a thermometer to keep track of the temperature at night. Cause you want the temperature no lower than 75 for baby's, but you also dont want it in the 90's at night either. I keep mine at 75-80 at night and 90-100 during the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.