chinese turtle keychains?

Status
Not open for further replies.

[email protected]

5 Year Member
This is just... horrible..:( what do you guys think?

Attachments

• Photo May 27, 7 14 18 PM.png
    Photo May 27, 7 14 18 PM.png
    650 KB · Views: 312

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
I edited the OP. This has been discussed before and there's no reason it can't be discussed again, just do it without bashing Asians. Prefacing something with "not trying to be racist" does not excuse it.

[email protected]

5 Year Member
it makes me wonder what percentage of turtles are actually cared for properly and grow up healthy. Probably not that many due to ignorant people. But it's good to know that there are some people out there taking good care of their pets

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I just keep hoping that the people that buy them have the sense to realize the turtles won't live long in the bag and that they will actually take the poor thing out and give it a proper home.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
There's nothing wrong with eating turtles, so long as they are "prepared" in the most humane way, without the animal suffering or any of it being wasted. I am only refering to common turtles ofcourse. Unfortunately, they are not always prepared in humane ways and the animals being eaten are not always common species.

These keychains aren't much of a debatable topic though. It's sickening and it is a perfect illustration of how disgusting we humans can be. I really hope this isn't still going on right now, as I know I personally have been hearing about this for at least a year.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Re: RE: chinese turtle keychains?

Anthony P said:
There's nothing wrong with eating turtles, so long as they are "prepared" in the most humane way, without the animal suffering or any of it being wasted. I am only refering to common turtles ofcourse. Unfortunately, they are not always prepared in humane ways and the animals being eaten are not always common species.

These keychains aren't much of a debatable topic though. It's sickening and it is a perfect illustration of how disgusting we humans can be. I really hope this isn't still going on right now, as I know I personally have been hearing about this for at least a year.

I have no problem with them being eaten, but I do have a problem with them being locked in a bag as a key chain.. But we can't do anything about it .

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

EricIvins

5 Year Member
That is not what happens when we ship Turtles to China....Please do some research. China produces enough Turtles on Chinese farms to take care of these "niche" markets. The Turtles we ship to China would be too expensive to use for anything but the "pet" market, which is 10x larger than what we see in the US...

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Yeah, imagine a concentric DBT or albino RES on key chains, should look pretty cool indeed :rolleyes:

IRTehDuckie

5 Year Member
Utica. MI
it makes me wonder what percentage of turtles are actually cared for properly and grow up healthy. Probably not that many due to ignorant people. But it's good to know that there are some people out there taking good care of their pets

i agree, thats what restores my faith in humanity, people like us, like all tfo members

JennBell0725

5 Year Member
This reminds me of the origami kittens that shocked the web years ago. Probably done just to get people's panties in a bunch.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using TortForum mobile app

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
JennBell0725 said:
This reminds me of the origami kittens that shocked the web years ago. Probably done just to get people's panties in a bunch.

Except the origami/bonzai kitten thing was a hoax. This turtle in a bag thing is not. People really make, sell, and buy these. :/

JennBell0725

5 Year Member
Yeah I googled it after I posted. Makes me nauseous.

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
This isn't really all that different than, say, giving live animals (anoles and goldfish were pretty common as of 10 years ago, haven't been to too many carnival since) as prizes at a carnival, which is still legal in many places. Sure, they have abundant air, but their death sentences are almost guaranteed.

Both are inhumane, of course.

JennBell0725

5 Year Member
So is keeping a goldfish in a bowl or res for that matter.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Re: RE: chinese turtle keychains?

Yvonne G said:

Thank you for pointing this out no laws hmmmm that sure is something. So I could ship turtles over there and there is no guarantee that they will end up as a pet or a sick key chain . You know there are some people on here that think everyone makes uneducated comments . I do a lot of research thank you . No hard fillings though.
Not pointing this at you Yvonne. You are one of the cool people that keep me on this forum.
Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.