This just makes me feel sick!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Terry Allan Hall said:
Fortunately, this is a hoax, folks...the unfortunate creatures would run out of oxygen very, very quickly...much too quickly to be sold alive!

I have seen this "hoax" of bagged turtles and other creatures as ornamental cast-away purchases in person.

It is done with quite a few animals.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Baoh said:
Terry Allan Hall said:
Fortunately, this is a hoax, folks...the unfortunate creatures would run out of oxygen very, very quickly...much too quickly to be sold alive!

I have seen this "hoax" of bagged turtles and other creatures as ornamental cast-away purchases in person.

No disrespect intended, but just how long can a turtle go w/o oxygen? Are we assuming that baby turtles need considerably less oxygen than a few tropical fish?

From keeping aquariums, I know that from the time the much larger bag of water, containing a few fish, is shut, I have about 90 minutes to get them home...if the aquarium shop puts enough oxygen in the bag. then I've got about an extra hour. As a rough estimate, and judging from the picture, the "keyrings" are much, much smaller...maybe 1/20th the air space or less.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Terry Allan Hall said:
Baoh said:
Terry Allan Hall said:

No disrespect intended, but just how long can a turtle go w/o oxygen? Are we assuming that baby turtles need considerably less oxygen than a few tropical fish?

From keeping aquariums, I know that from the time the much larger bag of water, containing a few fish, is shut, I have about 90 minutes to get them home...if the aquarium shop puts enough oxygen in the bag. then I've got about an extra hour. As a rough estimate, and judging from the picture, the "keyrings" are much, much smaller...maybe 1/20th the air space or less.

No disrespect taken.

It's just a matter of truth in advertising. Just as how the "nutritional liquids" is nonsense, so are the rest of the claims made by vendors.

Some (many/most) are not fully sealed and have the slightest gap that air can pass through. In other cases, they are meant to last about as long as getting home takes and there is no intention of even short-term survival. In Shanghai, plastic bag heat sealers are widely pushed by street and shop vendors right now and for any purpose they can think of. Most of these sales pitches relate to allowing you to sell your own sealed-in-plastic-so-as-to-appear-better-than-they-are lot-purchased items as individual units to foreigners, but things like what we see with the turtles and fish appeal to a portion of nationals.

They also have vending machines with live freshwater mitten crabs in some areas, too. These crabs are a great source of lung fluke infections, by the way, with symptoms that present like those of tuberculosis. Delicious, yes?

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
I was happy when they just sold Koala poop in the butt of a little plastic koala keychain. This is just pure ignorance.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
This makes me sick to death! I hope its a hoax! I won't say anymore cause I would go over board with my mouth, or fingers in this case.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Well, it's not quite the same, but...When I was a kid, and went to the circus, for a dollar you could but an anole (lizard) with a string tied onto a leg, and a safety pin on the other end. Almost every kid there was wearing them. What do you think their potential lifespan was?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
come on.. our China members... you live there... can you confirm this? It looks real.. And Ive seen other pictures of similar things... gold fish etc.. Like the gold fish in high heeled shoes....
anyone?? world travlers?

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
HOw can anyone treat a living creature like that, as if it is nothing but property! It makes me sad and sick and angry all at the same time. And then to make it worse it makes me feel helpless and embarassed that any person anywhere cold think that was acceptable! :(

yagyujubei said:
Well, it's not quite the same, but...When I was a kid, and went to the circus, for a dollar you could but an anole (lizard) with a string tied onto a leg, and a safety pin on the other end. Almost every kid there was wearing them. What do you think their potential lifespan was?

Yet another reason I will never go to a circus! How awful:(

sara

5 Year Member
Wyoming
well after reading every ones comments, I will not even open it , if its that bad, i dont want to see it. what ever it is. :(.....

Sky2Mina

10 Year Member!
Bangkok
I don't believe it - it looks just as hoax as the cats stuffed in a bottle (was it?) that ran around the internet years ago. But yeah, it could be sad reality.

Baoh - are you in China? If you (or someone else) see these being sold, can you snap a picture (or better a video!) of it? I really have to see it with my own eyes.
I've been to China in May, but I haven't seen any of these (fortunately).
A key chain... seriously... who thinks of that and even thinks that it would be a good idea?!

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Sky2Mina said:
I don't believe it - it looks just as hoax as the cats stuffed in a bottle (was it?) that ran around the internet years ago. But yeah, it could be sad reality.

Baoh - are you in China? If you (or someone else) see these being sold, can you snap a picture (or better a video!) of it? I really have to see it with my own eyes.
I've been to China in May, but I haven't seen any of these (fortunately).
A key chain... seriously... who thinks of that and even thinks that it would be a good idea?!

I visited China and saw this along with fish and crustacean variants. I did not feel the need to take pictures. I was there for a particular reason and the culture is not my own. While sad, there was no positive contribution to the situation that I could see myself making.

Status
Not open for further replies.