Choosing a Species

Luke.L

Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Hello everyone! I am new to the forum but an avid reptile keeper. I’m currently looking to add a tortoise to my collection. I have always been fascinated with them and have enjoyed reading on this forum. I currently live in Ohio, so cold weather is an issue. My dream animal would be a P.P. Leopard. I love their size and beauty. However, I realize that my location limits me to what I can keep. I know that it is possible but is it ethical to keep a large animal like this in a colder climate? Smaller species such as Russians and Hermanns are intriguing as well but I would love a Leopard. Thanks in advance!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Welcome.
I'm in Chicago and keep two leopards and a Russian. If you have the room and means to build a heated shed for winter or dedicate a whole large room for winter then it's fine. My leopards live in a shed for winter and outside for summer. They go outside whenever it's sunny in spring and fall and have access to heat until real winter hits and then they are in the shed.
If you don't have the room or means to give this, then a smaller species like a Russian is best.

Reactions: Ink

Luke.L

Ohio
Thanks for the response! How large of a space would be needed for an adult leopard indoors? I know bigger is always better but just wondered if there is a bare minimum you would recommend. Also, I know that P.B. Leopards typically stay smaller than P.P. Leopards so maybe that would be a better choice for me.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Personally I’d stick to the herman& Russian route, as much as it’s technically doable if you have the means to provide a room sized space that can maintain the humidity and heat, or a large heated shed, it’s still less than ideal for the location imo, that’s just me, someone who’s family has a red foot in the cold wet UK lol, if we could turn back time, they would have got a Russian. A temperate species that brumates would be more ideal I think🙂

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Russians are great starter species and there are always ones that need rescuing.
Yes sooo many need better homes! honestly some might consider them a less exciting species, but I really have a soft spot for them, their personalities are so feisty🥹

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Personally I’d stick to the herman& Russian route, as much as it’s technically doable if you have the means to provide a room sized space that can maintain the humidity and heat, or a large heated shed, it’s still less than ideal for the location imo, that’s just me, someone who’s family has a red foot in the cold wet UK lol, if we could turn back time, they would have got a Russian. A temperate species that brumates would be more ideal I think🙂
Personally there is nothing wrong with keeping the leopards in colder areas. Good thing, or so many wouldn't have homes. It just requires more space and means. Even people in CA deals with cold temps down into the same temps the Northerners get. Just have warmer days most times.
My leopards act the same inside or out. One likes to sleep more than the other but that's even true during the summer months when they can come and go inside or out whenever they want.
The room is what needs to be considered and if they can afford the extra electric bill.

Reactions: Ink