City Water Chlorine

Status
Not open for further replies.

kit-e-kat

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Gardena, Ca.
Occasionally I think I smell chlorine in the city water supply. Is there, if any, harm to the torts consuming or soaking in chlorinated water?
Thanks,
John and Joanie

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
kit-e-kat said:
Occasionally I think I smell chlorine in the city water supply. Is there, if any, harm to the torts consuming or soaking in chlorinated water?
Thanks,
John and Joanie

If you can smell anything in tap water then it is harmful to all of us.

All the quadrupeds in my house drink filtered water. The simple filter in the pitcher type is all you need. I would bring a sample to the local pool place for a test.

Chlorine is harmful to the lung tissue and ingesting in small amounts it would ruin the colony of good bacteria in the Gi track.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Straight tap has never caused me any problems. I've occasionally smelled what you refer to. If you are concerned about it, you can always use bottled water or treat your tap water with some drops the remove the chlorine, ammonia and chloramines. These drops can be found in any pet store that has aquarium fish. I like "Amquel". Been using it for my aquariums and aquatic turtles for decades.

BTW, bottled water also has low amounts of chlorine. If it didn't, it would start to grow algae and or bacteria inside the bottles after a couple weeks. I know this because the people with fish bowls usually use bottled water thinking its safer. You still have to de-chlorinate it for fish.

chadk

10 Year Member!
You can always ask your water district how much they use and look for recent testing records. Trust me, you would rather have the tiny ammounts of chlorine than the the other stuff that would be growing in there if they didn't use it...

Unless your areas uses more than most other areas, it should cause no harm to anyone. My wife and kids prefer to use the fridgerator filtered water, but I always drink tap water and I'm just as healthy, if not more than they are...

For your torts, once their water dish has sat over night, any chlorine would be evaporated. If you want, you can fill a jug with water and leave the cap off. Use that for adding water to your torts water dish.

trickkykidd

5 Year Member
another way to et rid of chlorine is to let the water sit out for 24 hours. This allows the chlorine to leave the water.

Chloramine will still be present and is used by water providers (probably most all) to have stabilized Cl- in the water. Amquel / PRime etc from pet store are the only way I know to remove it w/o filtering it.

I use both filtered water and tap water to try to limit chlorine and uptake by critters.

Status
Not open for further replies.