classroom?

LoriS

5 Year Member
Hello,

Anyone have any experience with housing tortoise or turtles in the classroom? I would like to include tortoises/turtles education,etc. I have a good collection of tortoise themed books: Esio Trot, Owen and Mazzee, and of course Franklin books.

I currently have two desert tortoises in my backyard.

I have some information from a rescue in Malibu.

Any and all info would be great.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
A warm welcome to the forum!

If you mean enclosure, then you can read the threads with that title, and good luck.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi LoriSoj it wouldn't be allowed in my school because of the che - think it would be considered a fire hazard, But if your school are more willing then I suppose as long as the enclosure is big and warm enough it may be OK. Although I would be worried the attention from the kids may be a bit stressful for it. I will be taking mine and his lamps etc into school when it gets warmer but only for the day.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi LoriSoj it wouldn't be allowed in my school because of the che - think it would be considered a fire hazard, But if your school are more willing then I suppose as long as the enclosure is big and warm enough it may be OK. Although I would be worried the attention from the kids may be a bit stressful for it. I will be taking mine and his lamps etc into school when it gets warmer but only for the day.
Would that distract the children? No offence.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Would that distract the children? No offence.
Hi Gillian none taken. Its part of a project the children are doing about different types of animals and we would only be with them for a short while. I would be keeping it away from the child who bites too!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi Gillian none taken. Its part of a project the children are doing about different types of animals and we would only be with them for a short while. I would be keeping it away from the child who bites too!
Thanks your understanding. A nice idea...a project. Good luck!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I'm not sure about this.
What about weekends?
And the holidays?
Tortoises get stressed with being moved around and also with new environments.
Not to speak of the children.
The enclosure would have to be large and secure, the night time temperatures would need to be monitored and uvb or direct sunlight ensured.
Grandpa's 2 level system would be a good option if space is at a premium.
Maybe a day visit like Lyn is going to do would be an idea?

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Well, you're not going to bring your desert tortoises to school, so you'd have to get a different animal. Then it would be one with which you have no experience. The school environment is not a good one to get to know a new animal. Even if you were familiar with the species, you don't know that particular animal.

Then you've got habitat setup, weekends & holidays care with endless stressful transporting, unsuitable temperatures- unheated building on weekends in winter, overheating in summer weather. So much can go wrong if you leave it on site, or if you transport it with you.

I've taken turtles in for school programs. My feeling is that if/when you have an animal you already know well, it would tolerate spending no more than a week at school and then should be brought home for the rest of the year. It would be better to get someone local to bring in their pet for a program.

The school tortoises I've seen or heard about all have been badly cared for despite the teachers' efforts.