Tortoise in the Classroom

LRZtorts

5 Year Member
So since I am a science teacher I decided I would bring one of my russian torts to my classroom for a class pet. My students love having him in our room and enjoy having him be apart of our learning experience. I have taught them all the difference between turtles and tortoises and they are learning how to care for pets responsibly.

I went over a safety contract and had each student sign it. I have also set up data collection sheets for students to record the temperature, his activity, what he was fed etc. everyday in class. If there are any other teachers out there consider doing this if even just having your pet visit for the day.
IMG_2290.JPG

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I like the idea behind this . But they can stress easily . I personally wouldn't take my tortoises to school unless there's limited time the students can mess around with it . Hopefully it works out for you .

LRZtorts

5 Year Member
So far it has. I teach older kids so they know they aren't allowed to touch him or his enclosure. I've explained to theM if we get to loud it will make him nervous.

I was afraid he would hide the entire time, but so far he has been out and active like normal.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
does the tortoise live in the classroom, do you bring it back and forth every day does he go home on the weekend?

LRZtorts

5 Year Member
He will be brought home on weekends. I can set his lights on timers but feel safer with him home on weekends of course.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Most schools will not let you keep heating elements on over night . If yours is letting you then I don't see a problem . You got your students in check and heating in check all should work out .

ShellyG

5 Year Member
NE Florida
You should check with your maintenance manager to find out what the after hours temperatures are set for. It can get very uncomfortable after hours in a school. You may also want to make sure your heat is plugged into an outlet connected to the generator system. Not all of them are.

LRZtorts

5 Year Member
Each of our classrooms has its own thermostat, nighttime temps are monitored and were checked before he was brought to school.
Thankfully our school does have a generator backup as well.

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
My mom was a first grade teacher for over 30 years. She never had a tortoise in class, but birds, frogs, turtles, lizards and a whole slew of bugs. I think it can really help teach kids responsibility, respect for animals, and scientific research as you stated above. Some of her students that she keeps in touch with still email or write to ask her how the pets are doing through their high school years and beyond.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I think this a great idea as long as your tortoise doesn't get stressed. I think he will quickly get used to the activity in the classroom. I brought Charlie in to my daughter's kindergarten when he was a baby. It was stressful for him and the kids didn't like him because he poops when he is stressed.

LRZtorts

5 Year Member
He has adjusted very well. He is eating like normal and active like normal. I enjoy having him there also because now I can watch and monitor him throughout the day.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Each of our classrooms has its own thermostat, nighttime temps are monitored and were checked before he was brought to school.
Thankfully our school does have a generator backup as well.
You're lucky. My school would not let me leave any heating source at night because of the fire risk.
We have our own thermostats too for day use but the whole heating system is timed to run very low at night.
I took my tort into school last week as we have been talking about reptiles but he was only there for about 2 hours max. He did poop - much to the kids delight - so I think he was quite stressed.

popeye tortoise

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
I think it is great that you are educating your students about tortoises. Please look for changes in your tortoise. The stress could be to much.