A Tortoise For School

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Broomfield, Colorado
Zamric said:
In my OP, I stated that she has already killed off a couple of hundred dollars in fish (guppies, mollies,neons, pocastimus, gold fish of all sizes) in a 20 gal tank. She has been mentored and shown everything she needs to know about BASIC fish tanks. Problem is SHE DOES NOT CARE TO CARE FOR FISH . They are an interuption of her time. the kids can feed but 1-3rd graders can not tend the tank and she refuses to tend the tank (it requires her to put her hands in what she precives as dirty water that "Things" live and poop in)! She just is not INTERESTED.... (she only chose fish because she thought they take care of themselfs aside from feeding)

Yes, I remember what your OP said. It just wasn't clear whether she didn't know or didn't care about how to keep them alive (or both).

An earlier poster said they found reptiles easier to care for than fish, simply because that was where their interest lay. I suppose that's true. But generally speaking, fish are not that hard to care for. If a person has trouble keeping fish alive, that does not bode well for other types of pets, either.

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
Zamric said:
if you are voting for a hamster or a rat, you obviously have not read this whole thread! or even my last couple of post....

i did read your posts, but i feel however that hampsters and rats are more expendable than turtles and tortoises. Yes, i rank animals. I am highly conservation minded. It may sound harsh, but if you are contemplating helping someone you clearly don't think should care for an animal, i vote the animal she have is

1) very easy to care for
2) extremely adaptable to various environments
3) extremely hardy when it comes to cleanliness, and environmental conditions
4) high activity level that would keep kids attention
5) won't effect the status quo of the top current "most endangered animal species of the world," of which Turtles and Tortoises are THE most threatened/endangered group of animals in the entire world with more than 57% of all species headed for extinction.

of which none of the top reasons do turtles and tortoises fit. If you don't want our advice on the forum, don't post.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
zesty_17 said:
Zamric said:
if you are voting for a hamster or a rat, you obviously have not read this whole thread! or even my last couple of post....

i did read your posts, but i feel however that hampsters and rats are more expendable than turtles and tortoises. Yes, i rank animals. I am highly conservation minded. It may sound harsh, but if you are contemplating helping someone you clearly don't think should care for an animal, i vote the animal she have is

1) very easy to care for
2) extremely adaptable to various environments
3) extremely hardy when it comes to cleanliness, and environmental conditions
4) high activity level that would keep kids attention
5) won't effect the status quo of the top current "most endangered animal species of the world," of which Turtles and Tortoises are THE most threatened/endangered group of animals in the entire world with more than 57% of all species headed for extinction.

of which none of the top reasons do turtles and tortoises fit. If you don't want our advice on the forum, don't post.

I wasn't asking for advice on what type of animal to get her, I was asking for advice on what type of tortoise is best for a classroom situations where Hybernation and size are relevent.

And I promise not to get her an endangered or threatened species of tortoise.

Status
Not open for further replies.