Looking for a Tortoise Friend

VRae

Location (City and/or State)
Tulsa, OK
Hello! I am new to this website, but I have spent the last 3 days reading everything I could about selecting a tortoise. My daughter has been wanting to buy my a tortoise since I am in love with all things turtle/tortoise. She was thinking about buying a Leopard Tortoise, but I'm not sure that would be the best for our climate. I live in Northeast Oklahoma, and we have hot humid summers and cold winters. My house is not well insulated and therefore the AC and Heater run all season. I don't want to set up a habitat that we have to keep super warm since that would cause more work for our AC unit in the summer.

After reading about the different types here on this website, I am more confused than before. What kind of turtle/tortoise would be best for my area? I plan on building a habitat, and would like to know what the ideal habitat would be - as well as a minimum size habitat for when I take him/her to class with me. I teach high school and I thought I would take it to work with me each day. However, the habitat in my classroom would not be able to be very large due to space.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
VRae

Alaskamike

South Florida
Great you are asking !

Certainly , no matter what kind of tortoise you have , their environment ( enclosure/ container ) will have to be different than your home. Houses are usually too cool & dry in winter for most species.

Folks may have strong opinions on moving a tort back & forth from home to a classroom. If so , don't be offended , all here care deeply about animals

Just a few general thoughts.

- tortoises may seem sedintary , and slow , but for optimal health & care they need more roaming room than most folks understand. If you ask here , you'll be told a 4'x8' tort table is best
While babies can be kept in large fish tanks or on smaller tort tables , they can grow fast & become lethargic & sick without room.

- on same note , classrooms don't often have much excess space, so the few torts I've seen in them were very cramped.

- tortoises are by nature , solitary animals. They sleep allot , don't need or want " buddies" , and don't do well with lots of confusion around them , or much handeling / touching.

But ...
That said, you might want to look into Russians They seem to be more tolerant of varying temps, are active & don't get too large. They also tend to be bold, and active escape artists

Setting up 2 enclosures would take work. If you look at the Species Specific section you will find many ideas & care info on them.

Myself , I wouldn't do this. But if I had the room , and was so inclined , I think I'd opt for a box turtle instead. They stay fairly small , will eat worms from your hand & many are okay in a larger temperature variance.

You'd have to check on regs for your State - some require permits for Boxies but they are easy to get.

Good fortune to you.

VRae

Tulsa, OK
Thank you so much! I will check into both. I have room both at home and at school to build a to tiered habitat. If I did that could the area (4'x8') be combined into those tiers? Say, a corner habitat with a top tier that was aproximately 2'x2'x4' triangle on top and a 3'x3'x 4' on bottom with a ramp or two?

I want to be able to handle it somewhat. I mean I don't want to carry it everywhere in my bag, but I would like to bring it to my class during the day, and home with me in the evening. I teach high school so the students are going to mess with it. It would be in the corner behind my desk.

By the way, I saw a lady at the park with her tortoise on a harness and leash... is this advised? I didn't know they were that kind of animal.

Anyway, thanks again!

Alaskamike

South Florida
You can use a tiered system. The ramp needs a side on it so they don't fall off.

Transport in winter could be tough, depending on species.

I took a 5 lb Sulcata to a class once for a 'show & tell ' biology , I put a hot water bottle under a towel in the box so he would stay warm. :)

Most of those kids had never seen a turtle, much less a tortoise ( it was Alaska) so they were fascinated

An the walk ?
I would not walk my tort unless I could be certain the grass around was not treated with bug killer. Certainly not a park.
No , leashes are not needed - but eyes on are. Torts can move surprising fast when you are distracted. Not only that , but smaller ones can really blend in & disappear.

daniellenc

Maryland
A classroom full of loud teenagers could prove stressful not to mention daily car rides back and forth. I'd skip the classroom and let the little guy grow in a quieter space. Not to mention soon he'll be too big to transport lol. And welcome!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello! I am new to this website, but I have spent the last 3 days reading everything I could about selecting a tortoise. My daughter has been wanting to buy my a tortoise since I am in love with all things turtle/tortoise. She was thinking about buying a Leopard Tortoise, but I'm not sure that would be the best for our climate. I live in Northeast Oklahoma, and we have hot humid summers and cold winters. My house is not well insulated and therefore the AC and Heater run all season. I don't want to set up a habitat that we have to keep super warm since that would cause more work for our AC unit in the summer.

After reading about the different types here on this website, I am more confused than before. What kind of turtle/tortoise would be best for my area? I plan on building a habitat, and would like to know what the ideal habitat would be - as well as a minimum size habitat for when I take him/her to class with me. I teach high school and I thought I would take it to work with me each day. However, the habitat in my classroom would not be able to be very large due to space.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
VRae

Hello and welcome.

The best solution for you is the best solution for everyone: Use a closed chamber. When you separate the air in your tortoises enclosure from the air in your house, it makes it very easy to maintain whatever temperature and humidity you want. Here's an old thread of mine:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/closed-chambers.32333/

If building is not your thing, you can buy one for the house and one for the classroom here:
http://www.apcages.com/home/terrestrial/terrestrial.htm

Any of the temperate species will remain a manageable size and most are outgoing and friendly. Russians, Marginated, Greek and Hermanni.