Help for a pre-tortoise owner!

Mattvid

Hi! I am thinking about getting a tortoise. I'm have never owned one before, so I was wondering if you guys could help me.
I live in Maryland on the east coast. My house is a little small, and I'm just loving the idea of getting a tortoise
Im still in school, so I need a tortoise that doesn't need much maitenence, but I don't want it to be completely inactive. I think i want a land tortoise, because I might take it out of its habitat every so often to explore and exercise. Plus I'm sure my mother wouldn't approve of a wet reptilian creature crawling along the floor. I'll want the tortoise inside, in my room in a habitat, because we have neighbors that have dogs on either side of us, and not to mention that I have a dog and cat myself so not really a good idea for an outside habitat. I also want the turtle to be small, like, at least under 10 inches small. I really love the idea of having a tortoise, and if and when I do get one, I want to take very good care of it and give it a really nice home.
Sorry my typing is messy, I'm typing on a very small tablet.
Thank you so much!

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

A small tortoise still needs a lot of room to wander. Please research the needs of a russian, Greek or Hermann's tortoise.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Also besides the room they need, they are not cheap. Enclosure, UVB light, heating element, they need to bask under a heat source to warm up to 95-100, substrate, dishes, supplements and food.
Look into the care sheets of the ones Yvonne mentioned and also take a look in the enclosure section. Also when it is warm outside they should have a safe outdoor enclosure too because it's not safe for them to roam free in a house or room on the floor

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum!:tort:

Please keep in mind that torts are used to living in the wild where they roam around without borders/boundaries. Therefore they are in need of SPACE and a lot of space. How about reading the "Beginners Mistake Thread" and keep asking questions when in need of help; and good luck with whatever tort you choose.:)

(No, your typing is not at all messy!:D)

Mattvid

Thank you! So maybe an maquatic tortoise would be best for my situation?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No turtle or tortoise should be turned loose on the floor inside a house, or on the ground outside. They need to be in an enclosure that is designed and kept safe for them with the correct temps.

All tortoise species benefit from being outside in a safe enclosure during fair weather and its not difficult to make a large enclosure with a wire covered top to keep dogs out.

Try this:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

This one will give you some idea about what is needed to house a tortoise:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Mattvid

OK thanks! I think. I'm going to wait until I finish school to get any kind of pet. I don't think I'm prepared for that kind of responsibility.
Until then, I'm going to delete this account.
Thank you so much!