A Tortoise For School

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Crystal Unicorn
OK, for those of you un-Familiar with the ways of Montessori teaching.... (at least in this school) All classrooms have a pet that the children care for under a teachers guidance. Some classrooms have many such pets... my wife's class has and aquarium and 2 birds, one room has a snake, we have several Guinnipigs and other rodents... we got most all bases covered.... with one exception!

we have a teacher (we'll call her Ms Smith) that has had problems with every pet under her care. She is from China and sees ALL rodents (or anything with a long hairy tail) as RATS, See has killed off several hundred dollars worth of fish, Hermit Crabs lasted 1 year in her classroom and her current pets (2 finches donated by a family in her class) are way loud for her classroom.

On Monday when I brought Eros and Gaia to school to show them off, her eyes lit up and she was in love. She even explained the facination with Tortoises in her homeland and she used to visit the Temple just to see the Aldebras living there. I idea hit me like a ton of bricks! I've been lookin' for the perfect pet for her room for about 5 years now! I went to the Head of School and told her the situation (she is VERY aware of Ms. Smith animal avertion) and got permission to get Ms Smith a tortoise if she was interested... when I told her today of my actions and the Directors dissition, she was beside herself and even hugged me (Very out of charictor for this very subdued person!)

This is what I have for long term keeping. An outdoor enclosure that is 4'x8' that used to be used by a box tortoise a couple of years ago. It is very shady during the summer because of the tree that is growing in it (the enclosure was built around the tree) It has high walls (3' tall) made from heavy plastisized rubber and looks like a Trellis.

Indoor inclosures will have to be built by me and I think I can handle the husbandry for all of it.

My question to you all is what kind of tortoise would go well in a classroom of Lower Elementary children (7-10 years old)?

It will be inside the class most of the time but will have plenty of outside time but never unattended. Since it will be a classroom pet all year long, Hybernation is not an option.

I was thinking about a redfoot or a cherryhead but am afraid they might get to big for classroom care. Russian and Hermanns need to hybernate.

Any ideas? I know Ms Smith is very excited about the prospects of a tortoise in her room but I want to make sure it is the right tortoise for the right circumstances.

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
So you want to give a hard-to-care-for animal like a tortoise to a woman with a tendency to kill animals? Hm...

Hermann's don't need to hibernate, but presuming this teacher doesn't end its life before the time comes, who'll be looking after the tortoise during school breaks?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
How/who would be caring for them in the vacations and weekends?

Torts react poorly to change, so sending home on a rota is not an option. I'd also have concerns about stress due to over-handling by the children.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Russians don't need to hibernate, that would be my first choice. They are hardy, like attention, and will probably thrill the kids with it's antics.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
But Russians are tunnelers, spending a lot of time underground by preference, and escape artists.

I agree about not needing to hibernate them.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Ms Smith is not a killer of animals, she is neglectful because she doesn't want to care for the pets she is given. Big Differance! Finding a pet she is interested in is a big stepping stone with her. She is VERY interested in having and caring for a tortoise. As we all know, to keep any animal alive and healthy, you need to be interested in the care for that animal. Tortoise are concidered good luck in China and a very sought after pet.

As for Breaks (Spring, Summer Fall and Winter) a child and thier Family mus volenteer to house the pets, but in this case I believe Ms. Smith would tend to the care and well being herself during these times. Handling by children is a nessesity as it will be they who are incharge of it's day to day care. WalkingRock grew up in this very enviroment from day 2 till he was 5 years and he CRAVES the attintion he got back then! (too bad he's too big for School!)

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
Zamric said:
Ms Smith is not a killer of animals, she is neglectful because she doesn't want to care for the pets she is given. Big Differance! Finding a pet she is interested in is a big stepping stone with her. She is VERY interested in having and caring for a tortoise. As we all know, to keep any animal alive and healthy, you need to be interested in the care for that animal. Tortoise are concidered good luck in China and a very sought after pet.

As for Breaks (Spring, Summer Fall and Winter) a child and thier Family mus volenteer to house the pets, but in this case I believe Ms. Smith would tend to the care and well being herself during these times. Handling by children is a nessesity as it will be they who are incharge of it's day to day care. WalkingRock grew up in this very enviroment from day 2 till he was 5 years and he CRAVES the attintion he got back then! (too bad he's too big for School!)

Now, I'm not wanting to cause an argument, but in my opinion if someone neglects animals simply because it's not an animal they like then they shouldn't be given charge of animals they DO like. These are living beings, not toys, and if she lets certain animals die because she's not keen then I don't believe she's putting the right value on life. If you have a life in your hands you MAKE yourself interested, or you find help elsewhere.

bekdevine

5 Year Member
UK
I would say a horsfield, if they are available in your area, they dont need to hibernate and are really friendly chaps, always happy of some attention, also they are quite small.
I am guessing you will oversee the care of it anyway, so I think it is a little unfair that some of the previous posts are calling you neglectful, this would only be the case if you dropped it off and never saw it again, which I cannot imagine you would do considering you have a tortoise yourself.

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
I would say russian tort, also, no tortoise needs to hibernate, if the environment they are in is warm year round (like in a classroom) they wont need to hibernate. hibernation is just a way of servival when their is no heat or food durning the cold months. some people still practice this when they keep their torts inside. for what reason i do not know. putting an animal in hibernation when their is no reason seems cruel to me when they could be kept thriving all year long. I would just search for a nice colored one that will keep the kids interested, even a greek tort would be a good one.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
I recommend a Russian as previous replies have mentioned. My Russian does not like to be handled and is pretty strong and squirms a lot when I do, so I hope she is right there when the children are handling it. If she does neglect this tortoise in any sort of way, just remove the little guy and hopefully you (or someone appropriate) can further take care! Good luck! Can't wait for pictures.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
Russian.
And i agree, To give an animal, skilled attention you need to bond with it, enjoy it and crave it.
But, Ms....whatever (?) may not like this animal so provides the absolute basic of care?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Russian... but maybe have HER pick it out so she feels part of the decision and gets attached..
are you able to Mentor her? make sure its set up correctly and getting the proper diet care etc?

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
I think this is a great idea, getting kids exposed early is how many of us found our 'true 'love. Course some of us have a few 'true' loves!!! But if Zamric is OK with this, so should we. I would only be concerned if there was no 'plan B' if this didn't work out....Zamric???..
Anyway, pets in the classroom.. yahoo!. I always was lucky in grade school, but my son ended up with a bunch of 'stick in the muds' and along with that, the town we are in, oh boy...can we say granola bars??
Go for it..but oversee everything!
Good Luck
Nay

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Laura said:
Russian... but maybe have HER pick it out so she feels part of the decision and gets attached..
are you able to Mentor her? make sure its set up correctly and getting the proper diet care etc?

I like this idea of having her involved in picking it out. And I'll agree with everyone saying Russian.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
When it comes to ALL the pets in the School.... I'm the Man! This tort would not go in blind and hope for the best! I am at the school more than some of the teachers and checking on animals is my 1st chore of the day. If someone gets new fish... I'm in that classroom everyday, somtimes twice a day (depending on th teacher) checking on my charges. I AM Plan "B" and c,d,e,f,and g! I try very hard to let the teachers and kids handle the animals and I have a few teachers who are as good as I or even better with differant animals (My wife is great with birds, and there is another teacher who is great with anything in the water... she even has a Fire Salamander(?) in her class) Fear Not for this Tortoise my friends for I will have it's Back!

I wish I could involve her more in the picking process but it will have to be with Pictures! I will let her decide on the Species (once I narrow it down to 2 or 3) then I will get a few pics and let her pick out the one she wants... then I will start building. While she reads all the care sheets I can print from this site! She has showed more interest in the last 3 days about an animal in her classroom than she has in the 5 years at this school!

EKLC

5 Year Member
Definitely do not get any tropical species.

I worry that it's inevitable that the tortoise will go home with students. Students who will be cavalier about the tortoise around their dogs, flaunt the tortoise around their friends, or simply lose the tortoise.

Also, who will be buying the food? If you are, that sounds good. But I wouldn't count on the teacher providing a healthy, varied diet if she is not much of an animal person.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
My Russian likes to be handled as long as you aren't swinging her around in the air, and she isn't scared by the loud noises children make. I thought you only actually need to hibernate the Russians if you plan to breed them? One concern I would have is that tortoises bite even if they don't intend to do so. My girl likes to bite at my fingers whenever they are in her cage and she bites my toes when shes climbing on my feet. She isnt trying to be mean but it is something she does regularly. It doesnt hurt me when she bites but I would let the teacher know to have the kids watch their fingers.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Kerryann said:
My Russian likes to be handled as long as you aren't swinging her around in the air, and she isn't scared by the loud noises children make. I thought you only actually need to hibernate the Russians if you plan to breed them? One concern I would have is that tortoises bite even if they don't intend to do so. My girl likes to bite at my fingers whenever they are in her cage and she bites my toes when shes climbing on my feet. She isnt trying to be mean but it is something she does regularly. It doesnt hurt me when she bites but I would let the teacher know to have the kids watch their fingers.

...that will definatly be put on the care sheet! Thanks!;)

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Very Kool! I will have that as part of my original presentation!

Just dont try that with a Sulcata!hehehehe they will definatly break the skin!:p

Status
Not open for further replies.