Sad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sulcatababies

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I had two tortoises pass away yesterday due to the extreme LA heat. One was my baby, Indego who I had for four years and the other was Speedy who was the school tortoise that went to the vet for the frst time and never made it back to school:( It is the worst feeling losing a pet who is like your child but even more difficult to try and tell a class of two year olds why their classroom pet isn't coming back to school. If anyone knows of a tortoise looking for a home please let me know, I really want to replace Speedy for the children and then later find a friend for my other tortoise Leo. But right now I am more concerned about the kids. If anyone could help me out I would really appreciate it.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Redlands, CA
im so sorry to hear about your loss. :(
when you decide its time to adopt another pet tortoise, i'd suggest contacting the local CTTC chapter (tortoise.org). they always seem to be looking for homes for sulcatas and desert torts.

mtdavis817254

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
waco tx
Sulcatababies said:
I had two tortoises pass away yesterday due to the extreme LA heat. One was my baby, Indego who I had for four years and the other was Speedy who was the school tortoise that went to the vet for the frst time and never made it back to school:( It is the worst feeling losing a pet who is like your child but even more difficult to try and tell a class of two year olds why their classroom pet isn't coming back to school. If anyone knows of a tortoise looking for a home please let me know, I really want to replace Speedy for the children and then later find a friend for my other tortoise Leo. But right now I am more concerned about the kids. If anyone could help me out I would really appreciate it.
what was wrong with speedy?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Im so sorry...
When you are ready, can you give some info as to what happened? I worry if what I have for my guys is good enough sometimes.. It gets really hot here, will be again this week as well.. and I worry..
Not enough shade, no water or too hot of water.. should I leave the sprinkler on or not..
take care

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Sulcatababies, I am so sorry for your loss. I know you said they passed due to the hot LA, CA temps. I know I live in the San Bernardino Area and I went home at lunch and brought my little hatchlings inside because it was already hitting close to 102F. If I may ask what happened?

Sulcatababies

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
The vet seems to think they either got poisoned or it was too hot and they were in boxes and couldn't find a cool enough spot, even though they were in the shade. The poisioned part is a little hard to believe because they both went at the same time and they were in seperate boxes but he also said they shouldn't have died so suddenly from the heat. He recommends making sure your babies can find adequate cool spots they can take cover in from the heat. He really had nothing else to say.:( Thank you for your advice and kind words, Leo (my other tortoise) and I appreciate them:)

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I am so sorry Sulcatababies to hear this. Could there have perhaps been something in the boxes? Perhaps the boxes had been sprayed or something you were unaware of? thanks for your kind warnings for my babies. I have them in an outside encosure that has 1/4 of it shaded plus hides both in and out of the shade. I work close enough that if it really gets hot I can hop home at lunchtime and bring them inside. I don't like leaving them outside even with shade when the temps are high. But It is so kind of you to send this advice my way.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Sulcatababies: I'm so sorry for your loss. You only had them for a short time, but they are just so easy to love that it takes only a short time to become really attached to them. If you ever get another baby, be sure to soak it every day. Because they are so small, they dehydrate very fast, and they really can't get enough moisture from their food to keep them hydrated.

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.