Clean and Happy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirin

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chino, CA
Today I clean Sheldon's home. I had before in his home coconut fiber and cypress mulch, but he was eating the coconut fiber so I took it out and only was using the cypress mulch. When I would take him outside i was notIcing he was eating dirt. Now I have him on a multi vitamin so he is no longer trying to eat dirt. I wanted the humidity to stay in his enclosure and I noticed with just the cypress mulch, It wasn't. So today I put the coconut fiber down first and then cypress mulch. In and on his hill(which is his favorite place) I used green moss. He tripped out at first because he is not use to seeing the green in his home( pacing back and fourth). Normally when I clean his house he is happy and snuggles in to it. I had to put him in his hole twice and then he settled into his home. He now is a happy boy!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's a very eye-appealing habitat, and he looks totally happy in it.

mikeh

5 Year Member
If that's a wooden log hide, with higher humidity you may want to check the inside roof for mold from time to time.

sent from mobile device using TFO app

Kirin

5 Year Member
Chino, CA
I clean his house often and ALWAYS Check for mold. I have never had an issue with mold.

Mantissa3

10 Year Member!
San Francisco Bay Area
Kirin said:
Today I clean Sheldon's home. I had before in his home coconut fiber and cypress mulch, but he was eating the coconut fiber so I took it out and only was using the cypress mulch. When I would take him outside i was notIcing he was eating dirt. Now I have him on a multi vitamin so he is no longer trying to eat dirt. I wanted the humidity to stay in his enclosure and I noticed with just the cypress mulch, It wasn't. So today I put the coconut fiber down first and then cypress mulch. In and on his hill(which is his favorite place) I used green moss. He tripped out at first because he is not use to seeing the green in his home( pacing back and fourth). Normally when I clean his house he is happy and snuggles in to it. I had to put him in his hole twice and then he settled into his home. He now is a happy boy!

Gorgeous tortle and wonderful habitat- nicely done, Kirin.

How old is your baby - he's beautiful!!! Also- I went to a local vivarium and bought some organic orchid soil (not bark) that I use to trap humidity beneath the coconut coir and cypress mulch- it works really well for my humidity needs for my redfoot, since I have heating cable under his soil and mulch.
Karen

Status
Not open for further replies.