Clear "Flakes" in poop?

Jodipg82

Location (City and/or State)
Oviedo
I was soaking my Leopard hatchling and as he usually does, he poops and I noticed this clear 'flakes' floating on the top of the water? I assume it came out in his poop but he could be peeing but I wouldn't know as he was in water...

Jodipg82

Oviedo
Substrate is coco coir on bottom to help with humidity because I'm battling trying to keep 80%+ while maintaining the heat, but the heat is drying up my humidity; and then I have a layer of the fir bark so his eyes don't get affected as I find it to be dusty if not moistened all the way. Diet is spring mix, escarole, endive, dandelion, mulberry leaves, zinnia leaves, squash leaves, hibiscus leaf, etc. Everything in moderation and varied. He eats well, poops like a champ has and gets his UVB/A from the sun as we have plenty of it in Florida. I did just give him his calcium powder on a squash leaf and he devoured it. Wasnt able to get pics of the little flakes bc they were so transparent my camera didn't even pick them up.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
How big are the flakes?

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Could easily be undeigested parts. Are you using a closed chamber for your enclosure, it makes it so mush easier to maintain the humidity for a baby Leopard.

Jodipg82

Oviedo
Could easily be undeigested parts. Are you using a closed chamber for your enclosure, it makes it so mush easier to maintain the humidity for a baby Leopard.
Yes we just built him one and moved it inside at Tom's suggestion bc its just too hot in Florida to have him on the patio like we did. We had no control over the temps...

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Yes we just built him one and moved it inside at Tom's suggestion bc its just too hot in Florida to have him on the patio like we did. We had no control over the temps...
Excellent. TRy adding a gallon of Hot Water to the substrate. Tom mentioned this long ago and you would think it would be understood, but it happens and all I ever added was cold water. Once I started adding the hot water- boom Humidity all around. I maintain 85 in the whole enclosure and 90 in the hide box. I run a 120 watt RHP and one 120 watt CHE in a 3.5'X11' enclosure. Hope that helps. BTW I use cypress mulch about 3'-4" deep with a covering of fir bark (Reptibark) which for East Coasters that is about the cheapest way. On the West Coast Fine Fir Bark comes in big mulch bags at garden centers and goes for $20 at most.

Jodipg82

Oviedo
Excellent. TRy adding a gallon of Hot Water to the substrate. Tom mentioned this long ago and you would think it would be understood, but it happens and all I ever added was cold water. Once I started adding the hot water- boom Humidity all around. I maintain 85 in the whole enclosure and 90 in the hide box. I run a 120 watt RHP and one 120 watt CHE in a 3.5'X11' enclosure. Hope that helps. BTW I use cypress mulch about 3'-4" deep with a covering of fir bark (Reptibark) which for East Coasters that is about the cheapest way. On the West Coast Fine Fir Bark comes in big mulch bags at garden centers and goes for $20 at most.
Thanks! I use hot water but I think im not adding enough as I'm afraid of making too much water and then having mold/respiratory issues.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Thanks! I use hot water but I think im not adding enough as I'm afraid of making too much water and then having mold/respiratory issues.
I add enough so that it doesnt cause the mulch to float, but soaks it good. The only mold issue I get is on Mazuri day and by the next moring its fuzzy. Also I would suggest finding some rolly polly (Pillbugs) outside to add to the enclosure. They really help breakdown leftover palnt material and poop. My Leopard is a Poop Prince! BTW he is a PB and why a closed chamber is so important-I am smoothing out the peaks. This was April 23 I weighed him yesterday but didn't have my phone
IMG_2535.jpeg

Jodipg82

Oviedo
I add enough so that it doesnt cause the mulch to float, but soaks it good. The only mold issue I get is on Mazuri day and by the next moring its fuzzy. Also I would suggest finding some rolly polly (Pillbugs) outside to add to the enclosure. They really help breakdown leftover palnt material and poop. My Leopard is a Poop Prince! BTW he is a PB and why a closed chamber is so important-I am smoothing out the peaks. This was April 23 I weighed him yesterday but didn't have my phone
View attachment 301930
He is so cool looking!! Mine is still only about 3". He is a turd and won't eat Mazuri. I ordered some mix ins from Kapidolo but he won't eat those either. He is a salty little man (I think he is a male even though its too early to tell lol)
I'll have to see if I can find pillbugs; I live in Central Florida and have not ever seen them but I used to live in South Florida and would see them everywhere...this is my little turd.

Attachments

• 20200710_185120.jpg
    20200710_185120.jpg
    767.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 20200704_111640.jpg
    20200704_111640.jpg
    820.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 20200703_150834.jpg
    20200703_150834.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
  • 20200515_173216.jpg
    20200515_173216.jpg
    794.4 KB · Views: 10

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
So tiny and adorable. For the pill bugs just take a log or some leaves and set in a moist area for a day or so then check after dark. Should be plenty. Mine are so bold they don't wait for darkness to come out in the enclosure. For Feeding be strong- it took a while to get him (he flashed me) to eat hibiscus buds but know that is the first thing he eats. Just take what he likes and then blend it into what you want him to eat. it helps mask and coat the other bits. Will has some awesome bits and such. Which Mazuri have you tried the LS is notorious for being unliked by torts. I use the old formula

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I was soaking my Leopard hatchling and as he usually does, he poops and I noticed this clear 'flakes' floating on the top of the water? I assume it came out in his poop but he could be peeing but I wouldn't know as he was in water...
I think I've seen what you are talking about and I think you are right that it is undigested grocery store lettuce particles.

I also see vermiculite at about 10-14 days after they hatch, but yours is probably older than that.