Clear nose bubbles

genetic_code

Location (City and/or State)
Delhi
My star tortoise,Nebula , has been doing well in the enclosure since I've got him. I have setup the enclosure with one UVB bulb, one LED for heat, peat course and lawn grass. He eats alot and sleeps alot. He's active during daytime but then goes to sleep. I put him for soaking every morning before leaving for work.

Yesterday, I came back in afternoon to check on him. He was sleeping. I put him on my palm and soon after I see one clear bubble coming out of his left nostril. It was just one bubble. Same thing happened yesterday in evening. Just one clear bubble, same nostril.

Is it RI? I did increase the temperature a little bit as a precaution. I got him shifted to a new enclosure 3 days ago. Could it be that?
He lives with Autumn, she has been living in this enclosure since long.IMG_20181114_074146.jpegIMG_20181113_184417.jpeg

curious guy

India
Hello genetic_code. Welcome to the forum. You have got some beautiful tortoises and you have chosen nice names. I love these speices. Some species of tortoises like the Indian star are susceptible to RI or Runny Nose Syndrome. I would not worry about it unless the bubble was of mucous. If it looked clear then it might be because tortoises sometime make bubbles from their nose when they wake up. It's good that you have increased the temperature for precaution as this will boost their immune system. If he is eating fine and doesn't seem lethargic then there's nothing to worry.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I wouldn't worry much about it. Keep temp up for about a week.
That enclosure though is way too small and if that's the water dish he's sitting in its way too small also. He needs a much larger enclosure asap. Also I don't know what the light is showing pink, but it should be dark at night, a ceramic heat emitter gives heat and no light. A tube flourescent for uvb is best.
Bigger enclosure is top priority.

genetic_code

Delhi
Hello genetic_code. Welcome to the forum. You have got some beautiful tortoises and you have chosen nice names. I love these speices. Some species of tortoises like the Indian star are susceptible to RI or Runny Nose Syndrome. I would not worry about it unless the bubble was of mucous. If it looked clear then it might be because tortoises sometime make bubbles from their nose when they wake up. It's good that you have increased the temperature for precaution as this will boost their immune system. If he is eating fine and doesn't seem lethargic then there's nothing to worry.
Thanks @curious guy . I would keep that in mind. And i know your tortoises are as beautiful as mine.

genetic_code

Delhi
I wouldn't worry much about it. Keep temp up for about a week.
That enclosure though is way too small and if that's the water dish he's sitting in its way too small also. He needs a much larger enclosure asap. Also I don't know what the light is showing pink, but it should be dark at night, a ceramic heat emitter gives heat and no light. A tube flourescent for uvb is best.
Bigger enclosure is top priority.
I agree. I got the tortoise few days ago. I'm planning to upgrade them into a bigger enclosure soon. Thanks for pointing about the light. I will look for the emitter you mentioned. Don't know if we get that in India!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
LED lights do not make any heat.

What is the ambient temperature in the enclosure and what is the basking temperature directly under the heat lamp in the picture? Stars of either species like it warm.

Respiratory infections are usually due to temps being too cool, especially at night. What is the night temp and how are you maintaining that?

Stress can also be a factor and the stress of living as a pair can be a contributing factor here. The stress of the enclosure being way too small could also be a factor.

genetic_code

Delhi
The bubbles are still there and today he was sneezing as well. He sneezed continuously for 30 seconds. Bubbles were clear and the nose is not runny. There's no discharge yet. Is he infected?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The bubbles are still there and today he was sneezing as well. He sneezed continuously for 30 seconds. Bubbles were clear and the nose is not runny. There's no discharge yet. Is he infected?
You have a problem. Can you answer the questions I asked in post #8?

What is the temperature over night, and what heating equipment are you using to maintain that temp?

Have you separated them yet and gotten much larger enclosures?

genetic_code

Delhi
You have a problem. Can you answer the questions I asked in post #8?

What is the temperature over night, and what heating equipment are you using to maintain that temp?

Have you separated them yet and gotten much larger enclosures?
I am using UVB bulb 50W for daytime and a red bulb for night. I typed LED mistakingly in my previous post. The temperatures maintained overnight is 85 degrees Fahrenheit.
And I have separated the tortoises, not bought a bigger area yet due to time issue. But will get one within a week.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I am using UVB bulb 50W for daytime and a red bulb for night. I typed LED mistakingly in my previous post. The temperatures maintained overnight is 85 degrees Fahrenheit.
And I have separated the tortoises, not bought a bigger area yet due to time issue. But will get one within a week.
No light at night; your tort needs complete darkness. Red lights colour the substrate and decor and tortoises love coloured food and lack the brainpower to work out that not everything red is edible. We see torts eating substrate coloured red by these lamp time and again :( (My own tort tried to eat red circles printed on a newspaper [emoji849])

If you need additional heat at night you must use a Ceramic Heat Emitter (CHE) with a thermostat. This gives out heat, but no light. Because the thermostat ensures it only cuts in when needed, you can leave it switched on 24/7.

genetic_code

Delhi
No light at night; your tort needs complete darkness. Red lights colour the substrate and decor and tortoises love coloured food and lack the brainpower to work out that not everything red is edible. We see torts eating substrate coloured red by these lamp time and again :( (My own tort tried to eat red circles printed on a newspaper [emoji849])

If you need additional heat at night you must use a Ceramic Heat Emitter (CHE) with a thermostat. This gives out heat, but no light. Because the thermostat ensures it only cuts in when needed, you can leave it switched on 24/7.
I understand but I don't think CHE is available in India. I'll try searching for it.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

genetic_code

Delhi
That is the right idea, but you need the larger 100Watt one. If the 100watt model maintains the correct temperature, then you are done. If not, you'll need two of them, but both can be controlled by one thermostat.
Thank you so much.
Also, I was planning to make a new and bigger enclosure. Will two feet by one feet be okay ? Also, we don't get orchid bark over here so lawn grass is okay? That's real grass by the way.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you so much.
Also, I was planning to make a new and bigger enclosure. Will two feet by one feet be okay ? Also, we don't get orchid bark over here so lawn grass is okay? That's real grass by the way.
Still much too small. 4 feet by two feet would be the minimum size enclosure, but even that is pretty small.

I would not house them on store bough grass sod. It is grown with chemicals. Do people there grow orchids? They need orchid bark for that and they are getting it somewhere. Its also called fir bark.

genetic_code

Delhi
Still much too small. 4 feet by two feet would be the minimum size enclosure, but even that is pretty small.

I would not house them on store bough grass sod. It is grown with chemicals. Do people there grow orchids? They need orchid bark for that and they are getting it somewhere. Its also called fir bark.
Right now I'm living in a hostel so I can't get a bigger enclosure but soon I'll be shifting back home, I could provide then.

And I found this on Amazon. Apparently it's used for potting plants. Is this the one?Screenshot_20181116-105652__01.jpeg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That doesn't appear to be the same kind we use here, but I looked it up, and I think it will work.