Clicking Noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mochii

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles, CA
I've been watching Marley eat, and I have noticed that he can chew off his food very well now. He eats VERY well. I remember he couldn't bite any of the leaves off but now, I can see his bite marks on the leaves! So proud of the little guy. :) He's eating spring mix, sometimes mixed in with dandelion leaves, escarole, etc depending on the days. He also has wheat grass sprinkled over it with some calcium. He seems fine and normal. He loves to roam around his enclosure, walks around like he owns everything that he walks on :)P) and pees and poos well also.

I was a bit concerned about something that I noticed though. When he eats, he makes some sort of clicking noise. I dont' know how to describe it.. but there is some sort of noise that he makes when he eats, or opens his mouth and does a chewing motion. Not all the time, but I hear it. I might be a bit paranoid about the respiratory disease. Is there an example anywhere that I can listen to for the respiratory one? Or other signs that I should look for? His shells are not HARD hard because he's a hatchling but it's fairly good. I press on it slightly daily to get a feel of what normal is to Marley.

Do your tortoises make noise? What kind of noise? I couldn't find anything on the web except this one: http://en.allexperts.com/q/Turtles-3543/2008/12/making-noice-eating.htm

Sigh. Maybe I'm being really paranoid. But I don't want to lose this guy. Thanks.

Oh a question on the side. I placed Marley on cement once outside when it was nice and sunny. He walked around fine and all of sudden he started to attack the cement.. like it's his food. Maybe it was because I didn't feed him before taking him out, but do they do that because it's hot or they don't like it? Or do you think it's because he was hungry? :p

- M&M

M

Maggie Cummings

I have several small tortoises who also click when they eat. I don't have a clue as to what it is. But I don't think it's harmful. I have also seen them biting at rocks or the cement, it's just something they do...

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I "click" sometimes when I eat, it is a little annoying to me, But my doctor says it is not harmful. I don't know how that would apply to your tort but just know he is not alone.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Its actually their little beak. I kept hearing it out of Anouk....it was driving me crazy, it was like I could never actually CATCH her doing it. Just hear it, go over there, and she'd be looking at me like "What??"

I finally saw her do it. She would open and close her mouth once or twice after taking some big bites, or eating a large leaf, and the top and bottom part of her little beak would rub together as she "adjusted' it back into place. I saw no harm in it...she's perfectly fine.

I'm sure Marley is too. But to keep his beak worn down, make sure to feed him on a hard surface, like a piece of slate tile, or a large flat rock.

Rhyno47

5 Year Member
Hagerstown, MD
If your worried about the respiratory infection, it does make the little ones click. But they do ut when they breathe, so all the time. Their little nostrils close up so they breathe through their mouths. Look at his nose. If his nose is clear and defined dont worry. Mine had an infection and their are other signs like they wont eat or drink, they become very light, and all around sluggish (for a turtle that is.) I believe Marley is a Sulcata and my Isaac is too so look for those signs. If they appear you will have to act fast. But from what your describing you Marley sounds fine. =)

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
My tort tries to eat anything introduces to his habitat, and also makes noises. His beak squeaks when he eats or drinks. The only thing I can think of that would be bad about the beak making noise is if it is misaligned (sometimes they get so bad the tort can't eat; don't think that is your problem but thought I'd mention it). We would see that in pictures though.

Mochii

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Oh kate, it squeaks when he eats or drinks too.

I'll post pics later of his beak just in case. Thanks! I feel better.

- M&M

dannomite

5 Year Member
Mine does that too sometimes. She would click when she eats and also just randomly but everytime she does it she's opening and closing her mouth so I agree with Meg that it is fine. I have not heard it much lately though and I do see her chewing on the cuddlebone more often now that she has realized what it is. Maybe the cuddlebone is helping her wear down her beak when she chews on it.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
I was listening to Sophia eat the other day. Her noise is almost like errrA errA ErrA its so funny. Now she was eating a snail she hide in the flowers but i could help laugh. I am not sure if it was her jaw or the snail, but i would say it might be what your talking about.
It didnt sound like a "worry" sound to me. All animals make funky noises, even my hermit crabs,

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
My goodness, Im actually giggling at this thread.... I can just hear all the clicking in my head hehe. Tallula has never made any noise except once she farted, but that was that....never heard a peep from her otherwise!

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Lol its was funny, I laughed solidly for about 10mins, think T got so embarrassed, she's so ladylike haha. I actually heard her making noises in the bath last night, almost like she was rubbing her tongue on top of her pallet in her mouth, she'd been drinking some water, so I was like heeeeeey Tallula you talking uh hhehehe

Status
Not open for further replies.